Japanese White Sauce? Is that the right name?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Feb 17, 2010.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

What is the name of that orange colored sauce you get at japanese restaurants. I thought it was called white sauce but I can't find that on the internet. I'm trying to find the weight watcher's points for it and it would help if I looked up the right thing :lol:

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

you should stay out of those places....

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's shrimp sauce. Mayo based.

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yes, its white ginger sauce

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

6. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

oh..restaurants

7. KellBell

it's bad bad stuff....

no good for you

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

They just call it White Sauce at most of them. But the white sauce I've seen has been white, not orange.

Holding back on the smart remarks....

9. michelle

I figured that because it's so damn good.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yep, DH is the reason I know what it is and how to make it, he loves it. I do some stir frys at home and he wanted some for here. 8)

11. michelle

How do you do your stir fry's?

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I do beef and broccoli with fresh ginger or chicken fried rice (that's what DH likes the shrimp sauce on), once in a blue moon, I will do sweet and sour chicken, that is way messy though. Nothing healthy, LOL.

13. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Thai style is good also,stir fry vegetables and chicken strips or other meat, add some curry paste,stir fry some more. Add 1 can of coconut milk and some thai basil,season with fish sauce and asian seasoning sauce,add juice of half a lime,let cook on low for a while for flavors to settle.
    I also like to add some baby corn and chinese mushrooms.

14. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I don't know the proper name for it either but it's soooooooooo good. It is a precious comodity in my book :mrgreen: I need a little food with my sauce when I go:jester:

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Is this it?
    http://www.japanese-steakhouse-white-sauce.com/white-sauce-recipe.htm

Japanese Steakhouse White Sauce - Chuck's Easy Recipe

1-1/4 cupHellmann's mayonnaise *1/4 cupwater1 teaspoontomato paste1 tablespoonmelted butter1/2 teaspoongarlic powder1 teaspoonsugar1/4 teaspoonpaprikadashcayenne pepper

Using a fork or a whisk, blend all ingredients together thoroughly until well mixed and the sauce is smooth. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend. Bring to room temperature before serving.

The sauce will NOT taste right if you don't let it sit overnight. And please don't try to substitute ketchup for the tomato paste! The water is needed to bring this to the right consistency.

I don't know how long this keeps in the refrigerator; I've kept it 7-10 days, but I always wind up eating it all before 10 days so after that - anyone's guess.

* Hellmann's is called "Best Foods" west of the Rockie Mountains. Use other mayos at your peril - many cheap brands make the sauce taste too much like mayo.

16. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

We must be from the same family tree, GC. I'm that way with this sauce (don;t use the other kind at Japanese restaurants), and if the ranch dressing is good, I'll cover a salad.

17. michelle

Yall are making me so hungry!

I found out that it's 5 pts. per serving, using the recipe mentioned in the beginning of this thread. If that's the case then I have eaten at least 25 pts. every time I have the stuff.

It must have cocaine in it or something. I swear I can't get enough of it.

18. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

Let me tell you somethiing about that sauce. It's the devil!! LOL

We used to go to a Jap place like Kanki. I think it was called Sakura Jap steakhouse. It was in Mini City in Raleigh. They called it "Yum Yum sauce" so that is what our family has called it everywhere else we go.

Rightfully named cause it is so YUMMY!!! I tell the chef to forget about those little bowls they give you for dipping and just pour it directly over my food. I could drink that stuff!!!

19. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

They also sell something like it in Grocery stores... It's with the seafood in the meat department. It comes in a bottle and it's orange. It's called Shrimp Sauce. I use it to dip my chicken, pork chops, and steak in. I LOVE it!!! I think it's like $2.99 maybe more I can't remember.

20. KellBell

Sum Yung.....?