JC Early College

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Resident, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

I figure there may be a thread here somewhere pertaining to this, but I wondered if anyone here has any thoughts or feedback on the Johnston County Early College Program. My son is in the 8th grade and came home interested in the program today. We'll attend an informational meeting in February, but I'd like to know if anyone has a child who attends or has attended and what your experience was like.

I was (mistakenly) under the impression that this was a program for at-risk kids, but it appears that it is an accelerated learning opportunity... Is this right?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me!

2. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Along this same line - Anyone know any more info on the IB Program at SSS? Is it a "Done Deal"? Has it started?

3. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

What's the IB Program?

4. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

The International Baccalaureate® (IB) offers four high quality international education programmes (sic) to more than one million students in 144 countries.

http://www.ibo.org/

There was a "show & tell" program at Cleveland Middle back in NOV. I heard there was lots of flash but not much real info.

5. mcclouds6

mcclouds6 Well-Known Member

My daughter attended in her 9th grade year. It is an awesome opportunity if your child is selected- I think only 50 students from Johnston county is selected. Only thing my daughter did not like was the long bus rides to and from school and the operating hours of school made it very difficult to find a part-time job, she dropped out of the program after her freshman year to go to traditional high school, she missed her friends, the normal schedule of school. As a parent I am wishing she stayed but I wanted her to be happy. She just knows that when she goes to college in the fall that she is going to have to pay for it as to receiving a free two year degree instead.

6. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

My boy goes is a sophmore and loves it. You can pm me and I can fill you in.

7. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

From what I know they start their school day at 10 or 11 due to the shared bus situation. Also I know their prefentence is to take kids who will be first generation college students. The key words in interviewing are "I am not interested in any of the extracurricular activities in traditional high school"

8. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

My daughter is a 9th grader there right now. She loves it. The school schedule is 11-5, her bus picks her up at 9:30 and she gets home at 6pm. The class sizes are smaller so its more individual attention for the students. The kids feel like one big family, they all look out for one another. They are treated more like adults too, so they really enjoy that level of respect.

I noticed a big change in my daughter since last year. She's more grown, more mature. She holds adult conversations, she's taking college classes and she has a strong grasp on her future.

It's a five year course and when she graduates, she will not only have a high school diploma, but an associates degree in science. She will walk on to a college campus as a junior.

It's not for everyone, it's a huge change. Some kids who were accepted actually pulled out a the last minute. If your kid is worried about leaving their friends, then it's probably not for them. My daughter still hangs out with her old friends on the weekend, plus her new friends so it really hasnt been that bad for her.

If you have any questions, including about the interview (when it gets closer to time), feel free to PM me. :)

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

10. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

My son is a 9th grader and loves it. There was an adjustment period just like with any other new endeavor, but I don't think he would trade the experience. His bus route is a little shorter than some of his classmates because we were able to switch his stop. His bus ride is about 35 minutes. The 11-5 schedule fits the teen brain. Sometimes getting him to his after-school activity can be a rush, but it has been well worth the effort. PM with specific questions if you would like! Definitely attend the info session!

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

they actually have all the extracurricular activities and clubs and proms as a traditional high school. the only thing they don't have is sports.

12. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

I echo what ferrickhead said.....I personally don't have a child that goes there but our good friend's daughter does and LOVES it.
    She doesn't mind the bus ride, loves the different hours and is excelling :hurray:

13. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

My daughter came home asking about going to early college too. It may fit her better too. I will definitely attend the meeting..... Do the kids have to be at a certain GPA level to go?

14. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Nope! All kids are encouraged to apply. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me. I first learned about ECA since my daughter was in 6th grade (she's in 9th at ECA now) so I know alot about the process, etc.

Will be more than happy to answer any questions! I pop on this discussion board every once in awhile so I might not see your responses. :)