JCC Motorcycle Beginners Course

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by areynolds00, Sep 19, 2011.

1. areynolds00

areynolds00 Guest

I have seen a few old threads here talking about this course, I wanted to know what your thoughts were on this class given by the college? I have read some shady reviews of the Ray Price Riders Edge program so I decided I would stay in my county. It's much cheaper. Anything I should be warned about/prepared for?

Thanks!

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Don't know about any of the courses locally, but I'd highly recommend anything the MSF offers.

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

When I was in the military we were required to complete both the classroom and on course riding drills using their motorcycles and then required to pass a skills riding test on your own motorcycle prior to being allowed on a Military base. And I'd highly recommend any of the classes they offer.

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

It's a GREAT class!!! The instructors were wonderful!! I learned so much from them and taking the class. I had NEVER ridden a motorcycle before and was a little freaked out, but in the end it was WELL worth the $ and time.
    BTW, if you need a full face helmet, I've got one for sale. It's a size small, I have a little head. LOL :lol::lol:

GOOD LUCK!!!

4. areynolds00

areynolds00 Guest

My fiance` and I are taking in at the end of this month. I have to say I am a bit freaked out too but I grew up riding all the time. My dad always had a bike. I am looking at helmets now, was trying a few on at Shelton's it looks like a S or M would work but I want to try a few on before I say. I may take you up on that helmet harley.

5. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

DH & I took the MSF ages ago. It was a BUSY Weekend. I had been an off road trail/farm bike rider for YEARS just not a ROAD Biker rider. It -really- made DH & I both better riders. PLUS we became better CAR Drivers too - looking out for those on 2 wheels.

You will need gloves, proper footwear (Boots) and long pants no matter how HOT it is.. we had helmets already.

Plan to be TIRED at the END of the Day!

Do it!

6. harleygirl

DH MADE me buy a full face DOT helmet & health insurance before I got the bike, it was a great little bike. I HAD a Honda Shadow 600, sold it to a lady in fayetteville who was turning 56yo :lol: and wanted to learn to ride. Also, sold it for more than what I paid for it, so that was good.

Yeah, just let me know about the helmet, I don't see me ever riding alone anylonger OR when it's cold outside <I'm a wuss>

Next is a convertable (4 wheels) for me. :lol::lol:
    And what Kelyel said, be prepared with jeans, long sleeve shirt, gloves etc.. for your class.

7. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

My wife is really wanting to learn to ride as well. She wants a Harley but im not so sure since she is not a big woman , like 5-5 120 soaking wet. So eventually we will have to both take the course. I rode dirt bikes as a kid but never anything on the road. Any ideas for a bike for her? Doesnt have to be a Harley and i know Harley Girl said she had a Honda Shadow 600. The misses doesnt need a ton of power but more something she can handle.

8. Grinder

Thanks much PM

9. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Best I remember, the bikes used in classes at JCC were Rebels.

10. CraigSPL

the MSF course I took used Rebels as the starter/training bikes.

11. harleygirl

The bike I had was GREAT! It would be perfect for your wife. She's about the same height as I am (if i remember correctly J has long legs) and i had no trouble with my feet being planted flat on the ground at a stop.

G, I still have the full face helmet if she needs one. Its DOT of course.

The ones we rode in class were Honda 250's (I think)

12. areynolds00

areynolds00 Guest

I would suggest either a Honda Rebel 250 or the Suzuki GZ250. I took the class at JCC in October last year and we all used Suzuki GZ250's.

13. Grinder

Great suggestions. Thanks all.

14. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

My Husband and I took the class last month at JCC. I think we used a Suzuki. We learned a lot. The Instructors were great.

15. Bubba

Bubba Well-Known Member

JCC Motorcycle Riders Training Course

The course at JCC is excellant. I attended the course six years ago. Our class consisted of people that had never ridden and people that been riding for over thirty years. It is great and I would recommend to anyone interested in riding. Once you pass the course you can get your motorcycle endorsement without having to take the road course test. You have to take the written test. You are also eligible for a ten percent savings on you insurance. Go for it.

16. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

I started out on a HD Sportster, a good bike for a beginner lady. Rode it for about 4 years before I got my dream bike, a Deuce. We sold our bikes a couple of years ago, moved on to other hobbies, but we had some great times and met some great people riding. I also have mens & womens bikers apparel if you are interested...full & small helmets, chaps, etc...

17. harleygirl

Categories:General MerchandiseNo
    Photo
    Ad Number:185368Date Posted:11/16/2012Contact:glenda pearce

angier, nc
    Telephone:919 902 2116 E-Mail:Reply to Ad Web Site:http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/340564

Description
    2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750 for sale. $5200.00

A super clean low mileage (891 original miles) Honda Shadow Aero 750. This would be a great SANTA Present !!!! This is a beautiful bike that is in fantastic shape.

It has a low seat that is perfect for those riders that like to have their feet flat on the ground. It has been garage kept, no dings or scratches.

It looks and runs as if it just came off the showroom floor. It's really a must see.

This was my wife's bike and she decided she wanted the stability of a trike.

Contact Leonard or Glenda at 919-902-2116 -- If we are not home, leave a message and we will return your call.

Pictures can be found on craiglist, cut and past the link below into your browser to see pictures.
    http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/3405648814.html

^^ 4042 CLASSIFIEDS ^^
    This would be a GREAT bike for your woman!!!

18. CraigSPL

19. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

keep the certificate from class and give to your insurance company. you get a discount.

20. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

tru dat