JCS board wastes more money

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Possum1970, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Possum1970

Possum1970 Member

From the Clayton News Star:

Board approves contract extension for Croom
    BRIAN RAPP

The Johnston County Schools Board of Education voted unanimously Tuesday to extend the contract of JCS Superintendent Ed Croom an additional two years, to 2014.

Croom, the former deputy superintendent, was hired in December 2008 to replace Anthony Parker, who accepted the superintendent's position in Berkeley County, S.C. His original contract was set to expire in 2012.

Board Chairman Larry Strickland, noting that the board has received high praise about Croom's work and leadership, said, "The superintendent has proven himself to be able, collaborative, committed, dedicated and an overall distinguished leader. Students and staff are his priority."

By mutual agreement, Croom's current salary and benefits package will not be increased from its present total of $209,206. The current economic downturn and budget crunch facing the district were the primary reasons for no increase.

Why do you need to extend a contract that isn't even over until 2012? Why not wait and see if you're still in love with him?
    Or is the board trying to lock Croom in at this bargain basement price?

I'm sorry, but I haven't met a superintendent yet worth over $200,000. What a waste. I bet you could find someone just as good for $150,000, and then the teachers could still have their refrigerators! :jester:

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Right on PRM. Unlike the last guy who was a self serving *****, I believe he really cares about the kids and the employees. This doesn't guarantee a higher income. He has shown he is worthy of job security. He doesn't have much to work with, the budget is a mess. Give him a chance, he wants to be here, not to use us to pad his resume.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

It's locking in on a good deal. You want to keep the service, but you don't want the rate to increase.

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I think it is fantastic. He is worth every penny, would you or could you deal with all the crap he has to right now, especially with all this budget cutting and figuring out what way to best serve the students?

5. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

You said it, not me. I'm just nodding my head in agreement.