JoCo Schools robo calls

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Gomer Pyle, May 11, 2010.

1. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks these calls suck!

Typically, these calls run two to five minutes and contain information regarding the school in question, significant events, dates, times etc.

The calls usually come in between dinner time and bed time, but ALWAYS when least convenient for the party on the receiving end. I don't usually carry a memo pad around and my answering machine doesn't record that long so this data is lost.

I understand about cost reductions but I suspect that standing by the flagpole and reading the announcements aloud would be equally effective.

Did they retire ALL the ditto machines?

2. shygrrl

shygrrl Well-Known Member

I, for one, appreciate those calls. It's much more information than my DS ever brings home and gives me the heads up on spirit nights, movies, dances, etc. I like it!

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I like it but I don't like how they suddenly now use my cell rather than my home number because my cell is never on.

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:iagree:

5. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Good luck getting them to change it. I used to get those calls, and I never had kids in Jo Co schools. Called the school to see if they could figure out who they were trying to call and correct their records, but no, that was impossible. Really? Your data base doesn't allow a search on the phone number field? :rolleyes:

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It took months when I dropped my home phone, but keep after them, it did eventually get changed.

7. bystander

bystander Well-Known Member

I find the calls helpful. I can't can't on my kindergartener nor my middle schooler to keep me informed so the calls are good. What is not good, however, is the fact that a couple of months ago, we started getting the calls from the WRONG middle school ( Smithfield Middle )!

8. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

We used to get the calls right after we moved here, and don't have anyone in the school system. I found an e-mail address for the principal at the school the messages were coming from and asked to have our number removed from their database, and we never got another call. They must have been able to look it up by phone number to remove it.

9. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

I like getting them. It's like pulling teeth to get the right info from my teenager so the calls fill me in.

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I just let it go to VM and listen at my convenience. Usually I ff or delete as it is all a rerun for me.

11. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong- I like to get the info, it's just that it doesn't do me a lot of good if I can't write it down, put it on the calendar etc. Perhaps I should carry a notepad or develop a better memory?

..BTW, since they're reading from a script anyway, why not e-mail it in addition to the phone calls? That would cost almost nothing to do.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  12. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

Get a Google Voice number - it's free. Rings your cell AND home at the SAME time. Whatever phone gets picked up first gets the call. Missed the call? No worries, how about a voicemail emailed to your gmail account AND transcribed in quasi-English in the email as well.

So you get a voicemail, email and the chance to catch the call at home or on the road.

There - I've solved your problem. google.com/voice

13. Cleopatra

lol, I just listend to my VM last night. Thing One's elementary school has banned Silly Bands. That was quick.

14. ny69

ny69 Guest

why

15. Cleopatra

Because they are distracting I guess, kids are worried more about their Silly Bands than rehashing the entire school year in preparation for their EOG's. LMAO

16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

because they are distracting to the kids. :?

17. ny69

ny69 Guest

well parents need to do a better job beating focus in their kids, why finger point to silly bandz,,,

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm now going to get some for DS.................'cause he's such a rebel, LOL. Of course, not to be taken to school. 8) He didn't know they had some shaped liked insects, which is his current passion. :lol:

19. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I find it funny and sad that they cannot/will not do a search and correct the number I put down to call for our household. :lol:

Sherry

20. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I would have said that also, until Wed night at church. i teach 1st-6th grade boys and those things (Bandz) were distracting. all loking at each others, trading them etc.