Johnston Co. & Brown's Speedways

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DoubleZero, Feb 25, 2009.

1. DoubleZero

DoubleZero Guest

Hi everyone, new to this forum, but am researching two historic Johnston county (NC) stock car speedways. Two different dirt tracks existed, back in the day, "Johnston County Speedway" and "Brown's Speedway" I'd appreciate any info on the location of these former race tracks.
    Thanks

Bobby Williamson
    Shallotte, NC

2. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I'm not "from around these parts" but isn't Johnston County Speedway the one that's right here on Cornwallis? That's just around the corner from me, I'm sure someone will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've always called it, my son used to race go-karts there when he was 5 and 6 years old. Then it was/is a bmx track (is it still?). Don't know about the other one.

3. ShrtnSwt

ShrtnSwt Well-Known Member

I think he might be referring to the one in Benson.

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Dunn/Benson is a dragstrip not a stock car track.

Craig

5. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

You are correct, which btw, is planned to be a 1/4 mile NHRA track next year. :cheers:

6. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

There was one on 96 highway at Cat Tail Pond,old dirt round track

they were still racing there in the late 50's and early 60's,,been closed a while
    track may not even be there now

7. DoubleZero

DoubleZero Guest

"Cat Tail Pond" is that a community........where?

The present-day "Johnston Co. Speedway" is/was a kart track, and only shares the same name as the old dirt track. There are the remains of the '60's-era dirt track "Broadslab Speedway" on the grounds of the Dunn-Benson Drag Strip, but that's yet another story from JCS and Brown's speedway.

8. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I still believe the Johnston County Speedway he's talking about is the one right here on Cornwallis Rd. My son raced go karts there for 2 years, and that's what it was called. I believe the woman that owned it lived either across the road, or somewhere very nearby anyway. I'm not sure if it now has the same owners or not, since it's not a race track anymore, he hasn't raced there in probably 3 years or so. They just tore the sign down about a month ago, I drive by there every day, and the sign has always said, JOHNSTON COUNTY SPEEDWAY. It is a dirt track, but I don't know if that would be considered Garner or Clayton, but I would guess Garner.

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

That's the one he said is not the one he is looking for, but only shares the same name.

OP, I'm surprised some of the old-timers here haven't come up with some information. Gcoats and dgsatman seem to know almost everything about JoCo history, maybe PM them? (Assuming they get notices of PM's in their e-mail, so you wouldn't have to wait til the next time they decide to come online.)

10. KDsGrandma

It's a fishing spot, taking Hwy 96 north out of Selma it's on the left-hand side, about 10 miles out of town.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I would recommend checking with the Clayton Library. They have quite a bit of historical information for the area.

12. KDsGrandma

Oh, and the JoCo library in Smithfield has a heritage section, with people who know seemingly everything about JoCo history. I didn't even think of that until you mentioned library.

13. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

The old Cat Tail Pond where the race track was ,directions ,,take highway 231 out of Wendell, take a right on highway 96(south) at Corinth Holders School and its on the right( before you get to the old store,),and yes, you can fish there
    Go and talk with the people that live there

14. DoubleZero

DoubleZero Guest

Thanks for the info, I think I've found it via Google Earth/Terraserver image sites.........the site is very near Cat Tail pond, but on the opposite side of 96. Judging by the aerials, it's OLD. The out line is just visible, even scanning back to 1993, it's still fuzzy, but familliar. Now, If I can determine its name: Johnston or Brown's.....I'd post the images here, but don't see those capablilites, they can be viewed :

http://www.localracechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46725

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I don't have anything to add except Shallote is a super great place. I worked for Enterprise Rent A Car a LONG time ago and DH and I lived in Wilmington for 5 years ANYWAY ... I've been to Shallote more times than I can count. I LOVE Shallotte! :cheers:

16. DoubleZero

DoubleZero Guest

Harley Girl, thanks for the kind words! You'll have to check out Shallotte's brand-new, and ultra plush "Beach House Harley-Davidson" Its just opened but the grand opening will be during Myrtle Beach bike week.

17. harleygirl

SHUT UP!!!
    We didn't go to bike week last year. :?
    We are planning to go to Thunder in the Valley up in PA in the summer! MIL & FIL live there so we have a FREE place to stay!

Thanks for the heads up!!

18. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I was on a Myrtle Beach site last week and it said the MB was not longer participating in Bike Week! cause the residents were tired of it.....I can't say as I blame them. They also listed some new laws.
    http://myrtlebeachbikerinfo.com/message.html

19. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

when and where is that? i ask because I will be in PA in July......

20. harleygirl