Johnston County is INCREASING PROPERTY TAXES

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Centurian, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Centurian

Centurian Well-Known Member

Under Johnston County's proposed 2011-12 budget, our property-taxes will be RAISED. This increase is HIDDEN because the rate would remain unchanged (78 cents per $100 valuation) but because of property revaluation this year, taxpayers will be PAYING ALMOST 10% MORE!

The county's property-tax revenues would grow from $92.6 million this year to $101.8 million in the year ahead. (9.6 percent)

I can't believe that our County Commissioners are going to raise taxes so much in the middle of these tough economic times and high unemployment. I know that the County is strapped for funds, but the taxpayers are hurting too! The Town of Clayton is lowering their tax rate next year to help taxpayers while still getting the same amount of revenue due to the revaluation. Other towns and counties are doing likewise.

We have one last chance to be heard. The public can weigh in at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 23, in the commissioners' meeting room in the Johnston County Courthouse in Smithfield. Commissioners are set to approve the budget at 8 a.m. June 29.

2. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

We have one last chance to be heard. The public can weigh in at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 23, in the commissioners' meeting room in the Johnston County Courthouse in Smithfield. Commissioners are set to approve the budget at 8 a.m. June 29.[/QUOTE]

I work 6pm to 6am or i would be there. Please if you can go, do so and let your voice be heard. If everybody could just raise revenues to offset our spending we would never have any problems. Tax revenues have dropped because business revenues (ie sales) have dropped, and personal revenues ( ie incomes) have dropped. The publics reaction has been to cut spending. That needs to be the govt. response. Please let you voice be heard.

3. Centurian

Most taxpayers probably don't care.

I don't know, Kevin. Judging from the lack of responses here, we may be the only 2 JoCo residents that don't want our taxes raised.

Taxpayers probably deserve whatever they show a willingness to accept. (40+ posts about which Wal-Mart is better??)

4. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I'm really not bustin' on ya, but inflammatory posts are almost the norm lately. Links are often helpful in making your point.

Smithfield Herald ('scuse me, "The Herald") article from 19 June 11: "County to hold budget hearings"

http://www.theherald-nc.com/2011/06/19/18947/county-to-hold-budget-hearings.html

The Herald article from 12 Jan 11: "Johnston property values jump"

http://www.theherald-nc.com/2011/01/12/17256/johnston-property-values-jump.html

The Herald article from 29 Dec 10: "Property appeals due soon"

http://www.theherald-nc.com/2010/12/29/17148/property-appeals-due-soon.html

The Herald article from 2 Dec 10: "News Briefs- Revaluation under way"

http://www.theherald-nc.com/2009/12/02/12440/news-briefs.html
    Peace.

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I wish I could be there tomorrow. I have Orientation for the Nuclear Medicine program at 3pm at JCC then I have to go to my CNA class from 5:30 to 10pm tomorrow night. Otherwise I would be there. I can not afford a tax increase at this moment.

Instead of raising taxes on people who can least afford it. Why not do what other companies and county agencies have to do. Cut the county commissioners salaries and lay some of them off!!!!!

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

LOL...mine actually went down.

7. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

It was time, calendar wise, to do the re-valuation on properties all across the county. It coincided with the economy, which inflames the effects on everyone.

I, and I belive many others, were more concerned about the dollar amount on the re-valuations. Some folks had unusually high increases when market prices remained the same or dropped.

We had an issue with our re-valuation. I called and spoke with someone. I sent a letter with a full explanation of the discrepancy and the amount was adjusted down to what I believe is a very reasonable value.

In addition, the value of some of our other listed property (not real estate property) went down which meant those taxes went down with the tax rate remaining the same.

If you have an issue than by all means, attend. But don't give the impression that you speak for all Johnston County citizens because that would be incorrect.

8. Centurian

point of order

I'm glad you were successful in winning your challenge, and I appreciate your honesty in stating that they were OVER-VALUED from the outset causing you to have to appeal. Many folks I know (in fact everyone I've spoken to) in South-Western JoCo that appealed got nothing in consideration and their valuations remained over-estimated.

Clearly, I never said I spoke for all Johnston Taxpayers...only those that objected to having their property taxes increased. And I understand that we are in the minority which is why our taxes will be raised and we will re-elect those that raised the taxes.