Johnston County Register of Deeds~~ Thank-A-Veteran Program

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Concerned Person, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Concerned Person

Concerned Person Well-Known Member

Johnston County Register of Deeds Office has started a Thank-A-Vet Program.

One of the responsibilities of the Register of Deeds office is to record approximately 14,000 veterans’ certificate of discharge (DD214) in Johnston County. We are pleased to announce a new program to encourage veterans to record their DD214. In addition to recording their certificate of discharge, we will issue the Veterans a Johnston County Register of Deeds office “Thank a Vet” photo ID card. This card, when presented, will entitle them to discounts or incentives from participating county businesses. This is an effort to show these veterans that we appreciate their service to our country. Johnston County Register of Deeds office will be the only one to offer this in the Triangle Area. There are about 9 other register of deeds office in the state that has started this program. We are asking Johnston County businesses to participate in thanking our veterans for their dedication to our country and community.

Many veterans are not eligible for a VA card or any other type of military ID and must carry their certificate of discharge around with them. This is unsafe as it could lead to identity theft or the DD214 could become damaged. This card will allow these veterans security in knowing their personal documents are safe.

All businesses participating will be listed on our website www.jcrod.org (viewed by Johnston County residents on a daily basis). All veterans who come into the Register of Deeds office will be given a list of the participating businesses. The veteran will be told they are required to show the Johnston County Register of Deeds office “Thank A Vet” photo ID card to receive the discount or incentive. All participating merchants will receive a window decal to display show their participation in the program. Craig Olive, Johnston County Register of Deeds stated, “I am delighted to be able to offer this program to assist our veterans here in Johnston County, after they have fought for our great country”.

The Register of Deeds office is encouraging all merchants to consider participating in this worthy cause to show our support to our Johnston County veterans. To sign up for this program, merchants should call Amy Zieverink at 919-631-5161. This project is being assisted by the Johnston County Veterans Serivce office. Robert Boyette, Veterans Service Officer for Johnston County, has been instrumental in getting the word out to the local veterans and their associations.

If any veteran has any questions, please feel free to call the Johnston County Register of Deeds Office at 919-989-5161.

“Thank A Vet” program started on Tuesday, November 1, 2016. Come and join us!

Craig Olive,
    Register of Deeds- Johnston County

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Why not just take your DD214 to the driver's license office and have Veteran added to your DL? Had mine done several months ago.

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Great idea!!! Thank you Craig.

Can I call the registers office to see if my DD214 is on record here already? Or do I have to come in?
    I've put it on record in NC but I can't remember if the location was here or Winston Salem? I lost my copy last year. I need a new copy.

4. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Thank you

Hught likes this.
  5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Dan, not sure on that as I was advised to make sure it was on file in my county of residence when I originally separated back in the stone age. With today's technology I would imagine that you could get a certified copy from any office.

6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll give them a call. Getting old here too.

7. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

This is a great idea! We run into issues all the time with trying to find a Veterans DD214 for VA loan purposes. One of my first jobs in the Army was scanning in all the old files & I remember the backlog of trying to find everyone's documents, it was terrible. I cant imagine trying to keep up with it for many years, many moves, etc. Kudos JCROD!

Auxie likes this.
  8. Concerned Person

Call us at 919 989 5160

9. Concerned Person

Yes, call our office.