Just sad..

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by JenniferK, Jun 26, 2007.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

So in November, my mom's 14 year old Shih-tzu laid down on the floor, went to sleep and never woke up. Mom handled it really well, she knew it was coming and wanted Casey to move on. Besides, she still had Baby (the 6 yr old mutt from the pound) to love her.

Baby is in kidney failure, and there's nothing that can be done for her. She's spending a few days at Dr. Basden's office to help her gain a little bit of weight and make her comfy, and then they are sending her home to die.

Isn't that just sad??

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

That is really sad. My sympathy to your mother. We get so attached to our pets. I have had many pets over the years, and I know how bad I feel when anything happens to any of them, so I will be thinking about your Mom.

3. JenniferK

:-(

Dad just called....

Dr. Basden's office called with really bad news, and recommened that Mom put Baby down, so that's what she did.

Mom is taking it very very rough.

She feels like she's lost her friends. She spends a lot of time awake at night, unable to sleep, and the dogs kept her company. Now she's at a loss as to what to do.

:-(

My heart just hurts for her.

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

That is so sad, Jenn. I am so sorry for your mom. I know how it hurts to lose a pet...they are truly members of the family. Hugs and prayers to your mom.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sorry to hear it Jen, thoughts and prayers.

6. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Jenn, I'm so sorry for your mother. :-(

7. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Oh Jenn... I am sorry. If/when she is ready for another baby let me know and I can keep my eyes open.

8. JenniferK

Thanks you guys. She is really taking it hard.

Don't hate me for saying this, but I'm already looking for another dog for her. Mom needs a dog. The dog is the reason she gets out of bed in the morning, and I'm really afraid of what might happen to her health without one.

I know we can't replace Baby, but she needs that companionship.

Here's what she needs if any of you happen to see anything.

Dad still has his dog, a three-legged datsun mix who is an alpha male. He's the boss. And he loves his Daddy. He likes Mom, but he loves his Daddy. He's agressive towards other men, but loves to play with other dogs.

I don't think he would do well with another male doggie, so for this reason she needs a female. Also, I think a puppy is a bad idea. She needs a dog that's already potty trained. Crate training doesn't matter, the dog will sleep with her, probably on her pillow/on top of her head.

It needs to be a lovable, docile dog. She doesn't need a high-energy type doggie. And for practical purposes, it probably shouldn't weigh more than 20 pounds tops.

Mom spoils her doggies, she always has. She used to raise Lhasa's, and although she is partial to long-haired dogs, I think she'd be better with a doggie that doesn't shed.

I think that's it. I'm already searching the rescue groups and petfinders, but if you see anything, let me know.

Thanks......

9. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

10. ready2cmyKing

Jenn, I think getting your mother a new dog is a great idea so I started searching for you and LOOK...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  11. JenniferK

Thanks for looking Ready. Yorkie's tend to be high energy dogs, and my Dad's dog is too dominant for the other doggie that you posted, but PLEASE keep looking. I searched CL and Petfinder last night, but I'm still looking, and ljk, I'll check out that website right now!

12. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Oh Jenn, That's just terrible! Makes my heart hurt. I almost had to put one of my babies down not long ago, and just the thought made me sick. I was lucky, he beat the odds this time.

I think with her health, etc. that getting her another companion is a wonderful idea!

13. ssmm

ssmm Well-Known Member

Hi, Jen. Hearing about your mom's loss breaks my heart. I'll keep a heads up for you, too.

ssmm

14. elims

elims Well-Known Member

15. ready2cmyKing

16. JenniferK

Elims, I saw those Peks last night and the first thing DH said was, one dog, not two! LOL I don't know though.....maybe.....

And Ready, I'll check into that datsun and see what the story is, thanks!

17. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Here is another one....6 month litter box trained Yorkie poo female

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pet/361339045.html

Family who travels too much sadly needs to find a home for their Yorkie Poo Puppy. Female, spayed & microchipped. All shots up to date - very healthy and happy. She is black with "wavy" hair. Small "rehoming fee" - please contact for details - she is only 6 months old!! She is also litterbox trained!!! Does not get better than that! Serious inquiries only!

Oh- just saw your reply that yorkies may be too high energy... maybe mixed with the poo?? :)

18. JenniferK

I can't see CL from work, but I will check them out when I get home!

19. ready2cmyKing

Jenn, this ad is a couple of days old so I don't know if they still have Gracie or not, but she looks like a wonderful candidate for your Mom...

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. JenniferK

That does sound like a good match. I'll email them when I get home!