Just wondering....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ServerSnapper, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I live behind the community church on 70. Saturday I saw the biggest bird I have personally ever seen. He was sitting in the tree and I don't know if it was an owl or a hawk. The other birds kept trying to get it out of the tree. DOing flybuys and taunting. 200 yds away I really couldn't tell. What would other birds hate so much a hawk or owl? I thought it was fascinating. Anyway. What is your opinion? Hawk, Eagle, or Owl? Huge from 200 yds.

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Turkey Buzzard

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

chickenhawk?

[​IMG]

5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

LOL....................

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'd agree. A turkey vulture will look as big as, well...a turkey. If you need some perspective, drive down I-40 from Garner toward 4042 and look at the cell phone tower on the left. That is like buzzard Shangri La.

If it were a mature bald eagle, I think you would have definitely known the difference. Now, I will say that the female red-tail hawk can get pretty big. Around these parts, if it had a big head with a proportioned body it was likely a female hawk. If it had a big body with a little head, it was a vulture. The exception would be a young adult bald eagle which hasn't developed its white plummage on its head yet.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I've seen other birds attack an owl while it was sitting in a tree exactly the way you described.

8. Hoof-Hearted

Hoof-Hearted Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    It was an Osprey they are endangered and some time they stay for a short while. other smaller birds do not tlike them cause they have been known to eat Pidgeons and other larger birds.

9. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

buzzards are big, but they eat dead stuff. Osprey hang out around water and catch fish. Hawks catch anything they can. I find puffs of feathers and rabbit fur every week in the field. When I was little I saw a hawk pick up a snake, carry it way high and drop it. He did that 3 times and then sat on a limb and ate it.

10. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

That was my guess also,plus I've never seen other birds attack a buzzard but have seen them attacking hawks.

11. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

My conclusion is it was a very large owl. I couldn't see a neck but it was moving it's head wierd. It was white with reddish wings. But good gravy it was big.