kayak launch sites?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by newmom5497, Mar 31, 2012.

1. newmom5497

newmom5497 Well-Known Member

Anyone know where we can launch our own kayaks(legally..not private property) on the Neuse besides SMithfield? Looking for somewhere in Clayton where we can park and launch for free. Thinking Covered Bridge Road or Rt. 42 Bridge crossing..but not sure?

THANKS!

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

There should be one on Covered Bridge Rd. as you had mentioned,a friend of mine has launched hers there before but I don't know of any others.

3. newmom5497

WOW ..thanks for the quick reply. I am not real familiar with that area..would you have directions from the Cleveland area?

4. AnnetteL

You're asking the wrong person for directions ;) I'm horrible when it comes to directions...drive to Clayton on 42,42 turns into Lombard St.,turn left on Main St.(do you know where NC Paper Co. is in Clayton,it's on the corner of Main St. and O'Neil St. turn right on O'Neil and keep on going straight,it will turn into Covered Bridge Rd.,which takes you to the bridge over the Neuse River,good luck! Hope you can find it ;)

5. newmom5497

LOL--thanks for the directions. I think we'll find it oK...most of that sounds fairly familiar now.
    I am horrible with directions also..we've lived here almost 5 years now...so I SHOULD know my way around by now...espcially my immediate area...duh

6. AnnetteL

Been here for almost 23 years and still don't know my way around,especially not in Raleigh and Cary ;)

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

8. newmom5497

Awesome map--thanks Jesse

I also found online that we can launch at Rt 42 bridge..across from Clayton Elementary

Thanks all...thats why I come here..instant gratification..LOL

9. newmom5497

Just an update for those with kayaks/canoes...

We went out today and launched at the 42 bridge area(across from E. Clayton Elementary)...worked out great. Small dirt road/path for the truck to go to the water...no problem parking it/leaving it there. We paddled upstream to about the Riverwood Golf Course/development....about a 2 hours paddle...anchored/pulled over to fish/snack/rest etc....then an easy coast back downstream. lots of wildlife(beaver, groundhogs, turtles, hawks, other birds etc.) and a beautiful day. There was also a small "rapids" area that was pretty cool(going up it was a challenge, but back down was fun!)
    Next time we will do the launch in Smithfield just for a change....

Thanks all for the tips!