Kaze Japanese Steakhouse--thoughts?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JellyBean, Jan 2, 2008.

1. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

Our family just ate here last night for the first time...and I was totally disappointed. I would like to hear other experiences if you have been....

First of all, we had 8 people and instead of having us around the other entirely empty grill...they made up squish up with another family and since there were 8 of us...we lined the entire back of the two grills...so could not see anything, the cook had to turn around and reach to serve us...it was totally ridiculous.

PS...place was dirty and the woman's restroom disgusting. I should have run when I saw the score of 90 when we walked in :)

Then...the waitstaff and other employees all acted like they all had attitude problems and we were an inconvenience to them. Last I checked, waitstaff wait on people...so if you dont like either concept...then working in a restaurant is clearly not for you. (we are very simple, the kids were well behaved and didn't have any special requests or anything)

My favorite part of the night? We got the checks, paid...and when they brought us back our change they had taken the original receipts out. Our friends are the ones who caught it. They had added on gratuity to the checks but then took the receipts out in the hopes we would double tip them! How shady is that?

We will not be going back...just curious if people have had bad or good experiences there. Thanks!

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

That's not good.
    I don't eat Japanese food anyway. :mrgreen:

3. emmalu

emmalu Active Member

I'm so glad I read this post because I was thinking of giving this place a try one weekend. I have been to Kobe in Clayon which I thought was very good.

4. Clif

Clif Guest

Ate there last night. I didn't experience the "attitude" issue with the staff. They were very expensive, though. Although I didn't think to look at the time, they might have put a gratuity on the bill without my knowledge.

Whether or not they did that, I think I'll not return. I like Kobe (only went to Kaze to see what they were like).

5. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. Always nice to know I am not 100% crazy :p

I was wondering if Kobe in Clayton was good...will have to try that one next time. Thanks!!

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Our experiences with Kaze have been positive. Good service, and fun food. I always check gratuitiy. If you had 8 on one check, most restaurants tend to automatically charge the tip. I ask, if I'm not sure, before I pay the check. The 90 rating concerns me.

Went to Wal Mart plaza on 70 in Clayton last week to the Lone Star with a 91.5 (really a 89.5 with the 2 pts for hand washing) and left when we saw the rating. Then went into Zaxby's... a 90 (88 with 2 hand washing pts) Kept going east to Wendy's...99.9 (recent inspection making it even better)..Food was hot, fresh, and even though it was fast food, less expensive than the first two. These days, we look at the health ratings...

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Your lucky you got good food, that is quite possibly the worst Wendy's in existance in my opinion, save the other one on Hwy 70 in Clayton. I used to prefer Wendy's to any other fast food establishment, but those two have ruined it for me. How hard is it to have hot fries and to NOT put cheese on a burger. I hate cheese on sandwiches, always ask for it without, 9 times out of 10, they still put it on there. Ick! I won't eat there unless it's an absolute last resort. I'll take my chances next door with the 90 rating at Zaxby's. :lol:

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Try going to the Hardee's across the street......that is unless you are on a tight schedule and want your food fast, cause you sure ain't gonna get it fast there.

Craig

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I actually work near there, and do stop in if I am NOT in a hurry, LOL. They are slower than molasses, but usually the burgers are good. :cool:

10. pikapp691

pikapp691 Well-Known Member

100% agree. That is the worst Wendy's around.

11. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

The 2 points are for a sanitation class the employees take, not for hand washing. Keep in mind that many clean restaurants lose points for ridiculous things. I always check on wral to see WHY they got the score they did. If it's for things that would make me sick, I don't eat there. But if it's for things like "employee cup next to hand washing sink" or "water 1 degree too cool" I give them the benefit of the doubt. I think you can always tell by looking around if the place is clean or not. If it's Lone Star, I'm guessing you're probably correct in leaving! :ack:

12. tawiii

tawiii Guest

If you look around the whole area has some pretty low (90ish) grades right now. Must be a new inspector. That will change

13. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I also take into consideration the age of the building. I know restaurants lose points for things on old buildings that have nothing directly to do with the food (ex. bricks around prep area in old buildings). If its a new building, new restaurant I am much harder on them!

14. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I will not be going to Kaze
    ==========================================
    Kaze
    Location: 1227 Timber DR E GARNER, NC 27529 Facility Type: Restaurant
    Inspection Date: 11/07/2007
    Smoking Status: N/A

Score: 90
    # Comments Points
    5. NO METAL STEMMED FOOD THERMOMETER WAS AVAILABLE AT TIME OF INSPECTION. PROVIDE A FOOD THERMOMETER THAT IS ACCURATE TO PLUS OR MINUS 2 DEGREES F, WITH A RANGE OF 0 TO 220 F. 1.5
    11. FOUND SEVERAL SOILED KNIVES AND OTHER UTENSILS THAT WERE BEING STORED ON MAGNETIC STRIPS. THOROUGHLY CLEAN AND SANITIZE THESE STRIPS BEFORE HANGING ON STRIPS--DO NOT HANG SOILED UTENSILS ON THESE MAGNETIC STRIPS.........OBSERVED DISHWASHER WORKER WIPING CLEAN KNIVES WITH A SOILED CLOTH TOWEL (AFTER THE KNIVES HAD BEEN WASHED AND SANITIZED IN THE DISHWASHER). ONCE DISHES AND UTENSILS HAVE BEEN RUN THROUGH THE DISHWASHER, THEY SHALL BE ALLOWED TO AIR DRY--THEY MUST NOT BE DRIED WITH A TOWEL. (CORRECTED ON SITE) 2.5
    12. NO SANITIZER TEST STRIPS WERE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF INSPECTION. PROVIDE PROPER TEST STRIPS TO CHECK CHLORINE BLEACH SANITIZER IN SPRAY BOTTLES. THE CHLORINE CONCENTRATION SHALL BE AT LEAST 50 PPM AND SHOULD NOT EXCEED 200 PPM. (SHOULD KEEP SANITIZER SPRAY BOTTLE AVAILABLE IN THE SUSHI PREPARATION AREA AS WELL). 1.5
    17. CLEAN THE FOLLOWING SOILED SURFACES: UNDERSIDES OF FOOD PREPARATION TABLES, SHELVES, AND SOME SINK DRAINBOARDS, INCLUDING TABLE LEGS--MOBILE CARTS (INCLUDING UNDERSIDES AND LEGS)--AREAS AROUND DOORS TO DISHWASHER.........FOUND MANY MOBILE CARTS AND FOOD PREPARATION TABLE SHELVING THROUGHOUT THE KITCHEN BEING LINED WITH SOILED RUBBER, PLASTIC MATTING OR CLOTH TOWELING. DO NOT LINE THESE AREAS WITH THESE MATERIALS SINCE THEY ARE NOT EASILY CLEANABLE. 1.0
    20. THERE WAS NO HOT WATER UNDER PRESSURE AVAILABLE AT THE EMPLOYEES` BATHROOM HANDSINK NOR AT THE BAR HANDSINK. THE WATER COMING OUT OF THE HOT WATER FAUCET WAS COOL WATER. PROVIDE HOT WATER UNDER PRESSURE AT THESE SINKS AT ALL TIMES.........FOUND UTENSILS IN THE HANDSINK BOWL BY COOKING LINE. THIS HANDSINK IS FOR HANDWASHING ONLY. DO NOT STORE SOILED UTENSILS IN THIS SINK. 2.0
    21. NO PAPER TOWELS WERE AVAILABLE AT A HANDWASHING SINK IN THE KITCHEN AND NOT PAPER TOWELS OR HANDSOAP WAS AVAILABLE AT HANDSINK BEHIND BAR. ALWAYS MAINTAIN AN ADEQUATE SUPPLY OF SOAP AND PAPER TOWELS AT ALL HANDSINKS. THE SOAP AND PAPER TOWELS SHOULD BE EASILY DISPENSED FROM DISPENSERS TO ALLOW FOR EASE IN HANDWASHING. (MAKE IT AS EASY AS POSSIBLE FOR FOOD WORKERS TO WASH THEIR HANDS. IF IT IS A STRUGGLE TO WASH HANDS AND IF THE HOT WATER, SOAP AND PAPER TOWELS ARE MISSING, WORKERS WILL NOT WASH THEIR HANDS AS FREQUENTLY AS NECESSARY OR NOT AT ALL OR THEY MAY NOT WASH THEIR HANDS ADEQUATELY.) 1.0
    34. FOUND MANY SOILED DRY CLOTH TOWELS HANGING FROM CARTS OR STORED IN OTHER AREAS NEAR FOOD PREPARATION. SOILED TOWELS SHALL BE KEPT WITH SOILED LINEN TO PREVENT THEM FROM BEING USED FOR OTHER PURPOSES (SUCH AS FOR WIPING HANDS OR WIPING CLEAN FOOD CONTACT SURFACES)........FOUND LARGE BAGS OF SOILED LINEN ON THE FLOOR NEAR BACK DOOR. ELEVATE THESE ITEMS ABOVE THE FLOOR. 0.5
    General Comments
    NO POINTS TAKEN FOR THE FOLLOWING: (31) LABEL SPRAY BOTTLES WITH THEIR CONTENTS..........(32) FOUND MANY BOXES, EQUIPMENT, BUCKETS, ETC. STORED ON THE FLOOR IN THE WAITRESS AREA, BACK STORAGE AREA AND IN THE CAN WASH AREA. STORE THESE ITEMS 6 TO 12 INCHES ABOVE THE FLOOR USING APPROVED SHELVING.

15. tawiii

tawiii Guest

I sure hope you don't think that other restaurants are different.

16. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

They also get points deducted for things such as the outside back dumbster having the lid open, a lot of these dumbsters are shared between stores/restaurants so if the store/restaurant next to yours leaves the lid open during the time of your inspection you will get the deduction.

17. tatertot36

tatertot36 Well-Known Member

Kaze' vs Kobe

My family and I ate at Kaze' the other night and were not that impressed either. We much prefer Kobe's and will eat there in the future. The food was alright but did not have as much flavor as Kobe. I did not have a problem with the waitstaff. She was friendly and attentive.

The hostesses had more of an attitude than the waitstaff - the night that we went, there were several large parties. I overheard one of the hostesses tell another one when they saw another party walking to the door, "We should just tell them that we are closed." This was at about 6:45 pm. She also rolled her eyes at a customer who came in and requested seating for a party of 13.

As far as the gratuity is concerned, the menu clearly states that it will be added for parties of 5 or more. While this is a little sooner than most places, if it is their policy and it is posted, I don't feel that I can complain too much about it. The receipt also had the gratuity listed on it.

As far as the price, it was a little more than Kobe but not much to make a difference.

I would go again if the party I was with wanted to go there but as far as my family - we will choose Kobe. It has a much better flavor.

I hope this helps.

Karen

18. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I know others have similar problems. But restaurants that have a 88 (90 when you add the education points) do not get our business. There are restaurants that the owners and management take measures to prevent sanitation grades of 88. But as long as you continue to patronize these restaurants they will continue to disregard sanitation issues. Don't go there and they will get the message.

19. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I think that it's important to tell them why you won;t eat there. We told the hostess at Lone Star when we handed her back the buzzer...and told the folks at Zaxby's the same....low sanitation scores = no business from us...and were heard by several parties in both places.

If they aren't smart enough to realize it, it can't hurt to mention it.

20. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

He/she hasn't had a chance to start collecting bribes yet?:mrgreen: