Kindergarten Registration

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DMJmom, Jan 26, 2011.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Anyone know when registration is for Johnston County? I thought it was usually February, but I haven't heard anything yet. Guess I could just call the school...

2. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I think it's late March this year? I looked it up a while back and it seems like it said March 24th/25th. I'll double check that. My youngest is going to kindergarten in the fall! It's bittersweet. I'll miss my baby.

3. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

My youngest is too! I know I'm going to cry like a baby when he starts...but it will be nice to be free for the daytime. I've been home with kids for 11 years.

4. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Wow, is it really that early?! My youngest starts this year too. :cry: Guess I need to add that to my calendar so that I don't forget

5. Allioop

Oh, I can relate. I've been at home with my kids for almost 9 years now. I won't be free for the daytime much because I start working next fall. So many changes this year. :neutral:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  6. Edi's Mom

Edi's Mom Guest

It's March 25th. Last night Cleveland Elem. had a Kindergarten Readiness Night for Parents of rising Kindergartners. They gave use a lot of information about what we will need at registration time and what they expect the kids to know when they come to school and what they will be learning. I have a 4th grader as well, so I thought I might not attend, but I'm glad I did.

7. Allioop

Thanks for letting us know for sure! I guess it's the same day for all elementary schools?

8. Crysta

Crysta Guest

I wonder if Polenta will do one of these. It would be great information to have. How did you find out about the Cleveland Elem. one? I don't see anything on their website about it, and don't see anything for next year on Polenta's.

9. Edi's Mom

Edi's Mom Guest

All JC schools do the registration day on the same day I'm pretty sure.

I found out about it because I have a daughter in 4th grade and a flyer came home in her weekly folder a couple of weeks ago. There were parents there that did not have older children and I don't know how they heard about it. I'd call the school to get info. if I were you.

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

11. Allioop

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

That's why I register at the last minute, I register whenever the heck I feel like it. ;)

13. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

I'll be registering one as well and I just wanted to let you all know, although some/all may already know, that you don't have to give the schools your child's social security number. Tell them you want them to assign your child a number and they will. There's no reason they need your child's SS# and no law saying you have to give it to them. I've done this twice before with no problem and will do it again this time. 8)

14. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

With everyone registering a child for kindergarten, please remember to start now teaching your children the following things:
    1. Teach them to keep their hands away from their nose and mouth. Otherwise your child will get infected with every cold, stomach virus, strep, flu, etc. that other children in the classroom have. Not to mention they should not suck their thumb, chew on their hair, suck on their hoodie ties/shirt ties/shirt sleeves.
    2. Teach them to use the bathroom when given a bathroom break, not having them have accidents because they waited too late to tell the teacher they needed to go. (When the class takes a bathroom break, they should go. Even if it's only a tiny amount. This eliminates the majority of accidents.)
    3. Teach them to wash hands properly. A splash of water and no soap will not get rid of the germs.
    4. Teach them to keep their hands out of their pants, no matter how badly their behinds itch.
    5. Teach the girls how to sit properly in a dress or skirt...in other words, how not to show their underwear to everyone in the world when they sit "criss-cross, applesauce".
    6. Remind them that sorry is just a word. It is not an apology. An apology show you are sorry for whatever you did or said that was wrong.
    7. Waiting your turn, saying please and thank you, and knowing not to interrupt are important social skills.