Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Sales Guy

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by peanut2004, Aug 4, 2010.

1. peanut2004

peanut2004 Member

I live in a Neighborhood near Cleveland School Area and last night a Guy showed up at our door with a set of 6 drinking glasses, no Identification and asked if I would like a Free Kirby Demo and I told him I wasn't interested and shut the door very quickly. They were in an older model Jeep Grand Cherokee, tan in color. Has anyone else seen these guys?:?:

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

sounds like their MO...usually there's more than one in the vehicle, dressed like they're on their way to church, and always trying to offer me a "free gift" roll of paper towels or a bottle of 409 or something. never asked for ID, but it's happened here a few times over the last 10 years..

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Thought the days of Door to Door sales men were a thing of the past. Other then the obnoxious Jehovah's witness and the occasional Mormon twins with their bicycles.

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

thought I saw them out the other week too, over in Lancaster.

one day saw a chick at the door w/ paper towels or something and a van sitting in the driveway w/ the side door open - just caught my eye, looked like their MO. Then the next day I see a girl walking alone down the street (same neighborhood) carrying a box that said Kirby on it - and it was like 100 degrees that day. All I could think 'was you poor thing - I wonder if you had any idea what you were signing up for?' :cry:

5. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

They Hit Walker's Ridge subdivision off Smith either last week or the week before....Yeah, Tan Jeep.....No Id, No nothing...he didn't even show up with a sweeper, just knocked on the door. Then asked if he could buy my wife's car. HA who'd want that POS!

6. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

Did any of you bother to call the police? Any company selling door-to-door has to have proper identification. Call the cops and they'll check them out. If they are legit the cops will just tell them to scram.

7. Jalen

Jalen Well-Known Member

Door to Door

While some people sit at home collecting unemployment, these people are doing something they are probably very uncomfortable with trying to make a living.

I'm actually grateful there are still people with the guts to not live off the Gov't. I wish everyone could just respect them and their time. If you can't spare the time, let them know and they're on their way. If you can spare the time, you usually get some thing in return.

God Bless them, in my opinion

I know, like everywhere, they have some that are more pushy than others. Just be firm with them.

I could be bias though because I welcome sales people to my door. It gives me a chance to witness as a Christian. I hate to say it, but some will scoot and never return when you do that. :) And don't witness just to repell salesmen. lol

8. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I have to admit I agree with Jalen that at least they are working.
    They should have to display some ID for sure though.

DB's wife

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

HELLO!!!

My FIRST ? would be ...
    have they had a criminal background check done? If SO they would be licensed with the NCASLB and have a badge around their neck or able to provide it.

10. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Maybe they could be the house markers? Times have changed alot, and I do not open the door for solicitors.

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I don't either, I have a Ruger .357 within arms reach just in case. :boxing:

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I agree with you there. Maybe it's just me but all of the folks I've seen that come up in the vans like this are very shady looking characters. That's just my own observation so don't go flaming me.

I don't open my door to ANYONE that I don't know if my husband is not home. I really don't think my cat would offer any protection from a bad guy :mrgreen:

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Would you like to give me your address and I'll be sure to send them your way?

I heard a knock at my front door last week, it was a nicely dressed black woman, no visible ID and an unmarked older green minivan was parked at the top of my driveway. She had a squirt bottle in hand and wanted to know if I wanted a free rug cleaning... ummmm. NO, she started to protest and I just shut my inside wooden door, she went away.

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I'll admit, when I see them in the neighborhood, AND yes, I do it with kids/adults going door-to-door for church groups (atleast they wear t-shirts for their cause).... I take my dog and move her tie-out to a tree where she can reach my driveway/front walk. Solicitors don't get far with her being out there.