Lady Bugs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., May 18, 2010.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We have not seen any lady bugs around our house in a couple of years. Has anybody else seen them?

When we first moved here every year they would be all over the place around spring and early summer. I'd complain when they got in the house but now I miss them.

Sherry

2. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

we have tons of them... I see them all over the window panes and on my flowers...

3. Sherry A.

Yeah, we used to see them just like that but no longer. I'm not sure why we don't have them anymore. I miss them. May come transplant a few if you don't mind. Seems the environment is changing when it comes to bugs and all.

Sherry

4. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

might want to do some research, I am sure there are ways to attract them!!! one of your neighbors might be using a pesticide that is keeping them away as well, since yall are kinda stacked together :)

5. Sherry A.

Had not thought about what my neighbors might be using. Now that I think about it seems like this started when a new neighbor moved in. I'll do some investigation and let you know. That was a good idea.

Thanks,
    Sherry

6. Oy Vayayay

Oy Vayayay Well-Known Member

I believe you can buy them, too, at garden places. They help control harmful insects.

7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

We've got them too.
    I do know that they are attracted to aphids since they milk them so to speak but then again who wants aphids,right?

8. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

When we had our cabin, springtime would bring thousands (and I do mean thousands) of the little critters. It was actually horrible, they would be everywhere, flying everywhere and people claimed they stung (or bite?). We'd go weeks without anyone being there, then we'd walk in and there would be hundreds of them dead on the floors at the windows. It was very gross. We were told that the gov't actually released them at the bottom of the mountains every year, they did something for the trees, can't remember what it was exactly though.

We've never really had any here though. Can't say I've seen any yet this year

9. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I thought it was just me but one actually bit me the other day ;)

10. Sherry A.

I did not know anyone could buy a lady bug at a garden place. I'll have to Google to see where they sell them.

Yes, they do control other insects and while I like to watch them I worry about stuff like this.

DJM....what you are describing is how our house used to be a while back then all of a sudden not a lady bug. Just weird.

While I'm investigating buying those suckers I'll investigate if they actually bite or not. tee hee.

Sherry

11. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

They had some at Atlantic Garden in Raleigh on Sunday. They are near the checkout counter in the building at the back.

http://www.atlanticavenuegarden.com

12. Sherry A.

Thank you so very much. Gonna have me some new critters in the yard soon. :lol:

Sherry

13. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

You're welcome! You might want to call first as they only had a few cups full on Sunday. We had lots of them when we first moved in four years ago, but haven't seen many the last two years. I always heard they were good luck. Have fun!!:)