Laminate Flooring Installation

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by davynchristy, Jan 30, 2010.

1. davynchristy

davynchristy Well-Known Member

I know there are several threads recommending types of flooring and flooring companies, but I was hoping that someone could help us pull it all together. What have you found to be the most cost/time effective way to install laminate flooring? Should we purchase the flooring from somewhere like Lumber Liquidators and hire a handyman to install it? Should we just hire a flooring company to come in and do a turn key job? We're ready to begin getting estimates but I'm not sure which direction to go in....Thanks!

2. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Start at Lowe's on the 40/42 and take it from there.

3. edad3

edad3 Guest

Just went through this. I can tell you it is a lot more work than you will expect. If you enjoy DIY home improvement, then fine. If not, hire it out. I installed a lam product in our rental. It took a day to do about 650 sq. ft. You have got to start with a good square line. It takes some experience to get the cuts right or you can waste a lot of material. After that experience I hired Southern Comfort Interiors on Hwy. 70 in Clayton to install hardwoods in my house. Super nice folks. Very responsive. I spoke to three installers, but they were the best and gave a very fair price.

4. davynchristy

davynchristy Well-Known Member

Thanks edad3, I will definitely put them on my list of people to call for estimates. This will not be a DIY project, we don't have the knowledge, tools or time. So, Robbie, are you saying that Lowe's and their installers are a good place to get an estimate as well, or just the product?

5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Both! Lowe's has a hugh selection of flooring to choose from and get an estimate for the flooring with the installation fee, and then price out other places from there. Obviously you have to start somewhere, and Lowe's has a great reputation, so this a good place to start. I have had lots of carpeting installed by them, without a problem. The laminate flooring we did ourselves but it was only a small room so we did fine on that.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I'm not into flooring.

7. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

I got my lmainate at Thad's Carpet One on Atlantic Ave in Raleigh. They will match anybody's price, the salesperson told me. I lucked out on one of their 99 cent truckload sales (good Bruce laminate, not no-name cheapo stuff). Originally, someone was going to help me install it, but we had a whole lotta problems. So, I went back to the store and paid them to install it, $1.99 sq ft, not including the shoe molding (abovementioned person did that for me).