Lawyer recommendation

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ginger1989, Sep 8, 2006.

1. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a lawyer that might listen to a case regarding violation of the American with Disabilities Act. I have a child thrown out of daycare due to his diabetes.

2. lindenul

lindenul Well-Known Member

Was he thrown out or was it a case of the daycare not having the ability to care for your child properly?

3. ginger1989

They have been caring for him since April when he was diagnosed (we took the summer off-I teach).

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

The ACLU would jump all over it.

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Contact the American Diabetes Association, and the State Attorney General, and also the childcare licensing agency, as well.

6. ginger1989

I've contacted the ADA and I will look into the others. There is some precedent, but I don't know what exactly. thanks!

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

BTW if you do a "search" at the top for Lawyers....

8. ginger1989

Thanks! I thought I saw something the other day, but I'm kinda numb right now. My husband has been looking, but there doesn't seem to be many civil lawyers around. I just wnat to know IF we have any kind of case.

9. Beezor

Beezor Well-Known Member

Wow. Did they come right out and tell you it was because of his diabetes? Or did they come up with some other reason?

10. ginger1989

Definitely b/c of the diabetes. There is a little more, but not something I'd like to share.

11. toadallyfruity

toadallyfruity Well-Known Member

Why would you want your child in a daycare that did not feel they could meet his medical needs? You should respect they told you rather than waiting until something happened.

12. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Although we are in JoCo, the Wake AHEC is a good source of info as well. I am trying to find the NC law on this, but know that recently, the legislature passed a bill into law that porvides for schooling for children with diabetes. Good Luck.

13. ginger1989

The thing is, I LOVE the facility, and the people. They are as upset about this as we are. There are having to follow an order from corporate. In Chicago.

14. ws

ws Well-Known Member

Great Daycare for children with medical issues

I am so sorry to hear about this. My daughter has numerous medical issues as well and she goes to Open Arms CDC at Holy Cross Lutheran on Hwy 42. I would highly recommend you check them out. There program is awesome and our daughter has come such as long way since she has been there. Sorry I can't help with the lawyer thing but maybe I can help point you in the right direction for new childcare.