Lawyer to Expunge a not guilty Misdeameanor

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Dad2Brandon, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Dad2Brandon

Dad2Brandon Guest

A while back I was mowing the lawn of a house I was renting.
    I mowed some grass that belonged to the neighbor next door.
    Next thing I know, there is a warrant for my arrest.
    Fast foward, go to court, thrown out, Judge seems mad at the Plaintiff.
    I go for a job two weeks ago in Raleigh, and find out that it's on back ground check as a tresspass.
    It doesn't say that it was dismissed or anything.
    I didn't get the job because of this, and the employer found it hard to believe that a neighbor would arrest you for innocently mowing some lawn, which he admitted in court.
    Does anyone know how I can do this myself, and save money, or do I need a lawyer.
    If so, can someone tell me what papers I need, where to get them, and if not, tell me a good cheap lawyer that can help me.

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I dunno, could you get a copy of the court transcript? I had a neighbor scalp my fescue in the dog days of summer - twice this past season - but it never occured to me to take him to court over it. Just a simple "can you not tell the difference between grass & weeds?" seemed to suffice.

3. ARodrigues

ARodrigues Well-Known Member

You should be able to handle it yourself. It's not brain boggling, but doesn't happen overnight. In the meantime, I would get a copy of the disposition so that you can provide it if it comes up with potential employers..

4. Dad2Brandon

Dad2Brandon Guest

Is the disposition the paper that says "dismissed" on it? I haven't looked at it in a while, and am planning on going to the court house to get it, if that's what your speaking of.
    You said that I could handle it myself, can you be a little bit more specific?
    Is there a website of something that I need to go to?
    It's gonna be hard to come up with paying for a lawyer without a job, and gettin a job is going to be hard with this on my record.

5. Dad2Brandon

Dad2Brandon Guest

Cleopatra,
    I took your advice about the transcript.
    I was informed that they don't do transcripts for district court, only the other type of court, so I can't provide it, or that would be a great idea to show the next employer where the neighbor said it was from cutting his grass.
    It would never occur to me that you could take someone to court over cut grass, but it happened. I didn't know it was his grass, the neighbor is a very senior man, and like you said "Hey buddy, you mowed some of my grass, don't do it again man" would have been alot more neighborly than me losing a day of work, when I was working, and potentially hurting me now by getting a job.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

One would think. In my case my neighbor had paid another neighbor (a new one) to mow his lawn, twice. The crazy part was the guy owned a landscaping business - I was surprised he couldn't clearly identify where my lawn began and where my neighbors weeds began.

Don't drink and mow. lol