Let's Talk Costs: Infant and Family Portraits Photography

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by GarnerHome, Nov 13, 2012.

1. GarnerHome

GarnerHome Well-Known Member

Interested in getting family photos now that we have added another baby to the family. Not interested in paying more for the photos than it costs to have the baby. I am looking for a step up from Portrait Innovations, but since i know it is not going to be cheap, I'm going to have to sell the idea to the hubby.

Who would you recommend? I don't want to waste my time or the photographers, so would prefer not to have to call around to find out pricing. If they don't disclose pricing on their websites, what did you pay and what did you get?

and thanks!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

We've always been happy with Sears.

Pricing (and coupons) can be found on their website.

3. daisy8869

daisy8869 Well-Known Member

I highly recommend keeping an eye out for groupons for photographers. We have had a lot of luck with that, just check the website before you buy to make sure you like their style.

We also do JC Penney if we can't do groupon. They always have specials and coupons. Book an appointment on a week day morning as they will take more time with you.

We tried Sears last month with a groupon and were not happy at all. We got three usable shots and the photo studio is like a closet. My son hated it. This was at Crabtree so maybe another location would be better.

4. twowaz2fal

twowaz2fal Well-Known Member

A friend of mine uses Pinky Promise Photography, they have reasonable rates and their work looks good. http://www.pinkypromisephotos.com/ That's who I want to use since the one I really love costs my house payment for a year.

5. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

there are two people on here who do photography on the side. They do weddings, senior portraits, babies, families. They will go "on location" and their prices are very reasonable. PM me if you want me to put you in touch.

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

As a second shooter, and spouse of an award winning photographer, you might want to consider that for every hour of a photo shoot, there will be about 4-5 hours of editing...light, color balance, elimination of those pics that someone was picking their nose, someone else's nose, etc...

The equipment costs more than you'd believe, plus the editing software.

It's doubtful that most people with a cell phone camera or a beginner digital cam with starter lens can provide what a professional photographer does.

I use the analogy of photography to that of eating at the Angus Barn versus Golden Corral. I eat at both places. I do not expect Angus Barn service and food quality for the Golden Corral price.

YMMV

8. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I'd be glad to talk to you about what you're looking for. I do wedding and family photography, and my rates are about as reasonable as you're going to find.

An hour and a half session for a child, at a location of your choosing, within a 30 mile radius of 40/42 starts at $75. You can expect somewhere between 50-100 photos to be taken in that time period.

If you feel you need a longer time period, or a location further away, we can adjust the rates according.

At the end of the session, you will maintain a disc of all photos taken with rights to reproduce them for personal use.

If you want edited photos, my business partner will do photo edits starting at $5 per photo.

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

and here's one now.... :mrgreen:

10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member