Levi's made in Egypt....?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by clive, Apr 21, 2008.

1. clive

clive Well-Known Member

That's what my jeans say; Made in Egypt.........
    Now, I know there's a whole lot more to the nuts and bolts of corporate America that leads a company to do this but on the surface it really makes one think about how little people are paid in other countries to do what used to be "our" work. They can make a pair of jeans on the other side of the world, ship them here, and still sell them to Wal-Mart for a large profit(I'm guessing).
    Anyway, I'm just thinking "out loud".

Oh, yeah; the tag also says, "Hecho en Egipto". I just love irony.

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

:mrgreen: Dern Mexicans everywhere...Even on labels!

3. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

That was funny! LOL

4. ServerSnapper

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I used to always by Dexter shoes. Loafers, dress shoes, I still have a pair of each that I wear. You could buy a pair at Kohls for around $50. They were Made in the USA in Dexter Maine. They were owned by a larger company. In 2005-06 (?) they moved production to China. The price at Kohls went up to around $60.

I know with shipping costs going up due to fuel, that I read somewhere that many companies were finding out that Made in China was not as cheap as they envisioned.

6. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

That's a good point. We could also make it less profitable for business to move our jobs overseas by requiring them to meet the same worker safety standards and the same environmental protection standards everywhere, and to pay their employees a living wage. Not based on the minimum wage here, but based on the cost of living wherever they are.

7. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I usually only wear Levi's. I'll have to check my labels, but as far as I know all of mine have been made in the USA. I'll have to double check tonight.

8. ServerSnapper

My Levi's say made in the U.S.A.

9. markfnc

10. ServerSnapper

11. markfnc

I agree if we are going to give tax breaks to corporations, they should meet some domestic production requirements. I believe in the free market, but if we can keep some manufacturing in the US via tax breaks, then and only then should they be given tax breaks.

Of course I beleive all Corporate taxes should be elminated as they are only passed on the us anyways.

12. clive

clive Well-Known Member

Wow. I don't fit in any jeans I bought four years ago.:oops:

13. ServerSnapper

Clive is that a PRS? In your AV?

14. clive

clive Well-Known Member

Not a PRS although they are nice players from what I've heard.
    Mine is '82 Carvin DC200K (Hawaiian koa) that I received as a high school graduation gift that year. I put in some new pots and rewired it last year as well as changed out some hardware. The only other electric guitar I've ever wanted is a Tele............one day.

15. ServerSnapper

Carvin makes a really nice guitar

16. markfnc

Another piece of useless info. IN 1996 I was working on an addition to Swift Textiles in Erwin. They made denim for Levi's, JC Penney, Sears etc. The had bales of raw cotton come in one end and rolls of finished denim go out the other end. It was a real interesting process. They did not make the jeans, just the denim.

Well they bid to Levis' just like contractors bid on construction jobs. Levi's sends out a bid request for xxx # of SY of denim at whatever specification. Then Swift Textiles or another company (say from Mexico) bids on the denim. I did not know that was how it worked. Well right after we finished the addition, they lost both the JC Penney and Levi account to Mexico. They closed for good not too many years after that.

Then came the Made in USA of Mexican components, then just Made in Mexico, and now Made in Egypt.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  17. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

Interesting. I used to work for a company that made the cots and aprons for the textile machinery. I worked at the sales office in Greenville, SC. Have toured some of the mills, really neat process. I remember taking many orders for for cots and aprons from Swift Textiles in Erwin back then. Too many of the textile companies closed down. Eventually, the company I worked for closed down too.

18. clive

clive Well-Known Member

Yes they do. I think they make some of the nicest looking electrics as well as being very playable. We have one of their acoustics at church (not sure which one) but I'm not as crazy about the sound that comes from that. But it is the only Carvin acoustic I've played so it might not be a good example of their typical work.

19. ServerSnapper

Well they are known for the solid body, one piece body guitars. Have great tone.

20. jjganny

jjganny Well-Known Member

When I first started working in 1968, I worked at Wrangler in Wilson and we made Wrangler jeans. They moved overseas and Wrangler is closed for a long time. Then I went to work at Devil Dog making Okie Dokies, and kids jeans-guess what they went over seas.