life span of a asphalt roof

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

What would most people say is the average lifespan of an asphalt roof in our area?

Thanks

2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I think most people would say they don't know. :mrgreen:

But if you're talking about asphalt shingles (as opposed to an asphalt poured roof), my bet would be twenty years, on average.

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Well it comes down to the quality shingles used, you have cheaper on up to a more expensive higher quality that can dbl the life span

4. Rockyv58

Sorry I posted before I proofread myself I meant to say Asphalt shingles.

and thanks that's what I thought the average lifespan was but just wanted to double check

BTW has anyone in the South Plantation development had to go and get a new shingle roof put on yet?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  5. Rockyv58

Why I ask is, because I am going through Johnston-Lee-Harnett Community Action, and they are going to do some weatherization on my home. I had noticed about a week after the person did the home inspection I saw some water dripping from my towel rack during a heavy rain storm. That was back in June. I happened to mention that to the guy who did the home inspection. Then at the end of July I get a letter from them saying the weatherization was on hold until I get the roof fixed. Well visual inspection of the shingles on the outside are fine and no water damage in the attic. And there has been no water leakage from my towel rack since June.

After a month of me calling them and only getting voice mail and the person never returning my call, I stopped by their offices on my way home from school yesterday. That seamed to put a fire under them. I had a phone call when I got home. Pretty much they want me to write a letter for them saying that there has been no water leakage since and pretty much relinquishing them of any responsiblity of the roof.

6. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I am in construction. A cheaper shingle should last 20 years, the more expensive 30 years. Most of the houses built around here since say 1995-2005 would more than likley have the 20 year shingle.

7. Rockyv58

My house was built in 1995 by Son-Lan. I figure I have about three years left on average.

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

When I first moved to NC, we bought a brand new (they were still building it when we made the offer) Parade of Homes house. The next spring/summer, during a real bad storm, there was leakage from the roof. We called out the builder who climbed up, looked around, and couldn't see any damage. He said if it happened again he'd replace the roof.

It never leaked again (well, up to the time we sold it several years later).

What we figured happened was that the wind had raised some shingles which allowed the rain in (it was a doozy of a storm). I can't say for sure if that was, indeed, what happened, but it made sense to me and, as I said, it didn't leak any more for the rest of the time we lived there.

9. Rockyv58

Vent pipes

In a previous post I had mentioned the Johnston, Lee, Harnett weatherization people.

Well they sent out the folks to put in new vents in the bathroom. When they went up into the attic I happened to look up and saw a slight water stain on the hall ceiling. I ask the gentleman if he saw any water leaking under the roof.

What he saw was one of the bathroom vent gaskets had a slight hole in it. He says he has seen worse. His suggestion was to have someone go up and replace not only that gasket but all the gaskets just to be on the safe side. And of course replacing gaskets I would suppose would be cheaper than replacing the entire roof.

My question is can someone give me the name of a reputable roofer or who ever, that can replace those vent gaskets without charging an arm and a leg?

Thanks

Bob V

10. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

you can easily do it yourself, that is unless you afraid of ladders and height..
    I'm pretty sure I've seen easy to install vent pipe gaskets.

11. Rockyv58

I would do it myself but I am a lot like Tim "the tool man" Taylor. Every home thing I try to do gets totally messed up and ends up costing more money

12. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Rocky, have you checked the boots around the vent pipes? If they are made of rubber, they may fail before the 20 year shingles do. I had an issue with that a few years ago.

13. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Scratch that Rocky, gaskets, boots, same thing. I will tell you that when I had my roof replaced a few years ago, the roofers installed lead boots around the vent pipes. Yeah, they looked good, but the squirrels started gnawing the lead away. I hope that it killed the little *******s.

14. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

Glad you figured this out, was going to tell you in our 17 year old house we has to replace these due a leak. When hubby went up to look, they were all dry-rotted. He replaced all of them in an afternoon. All 3 were less than $10.

15. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Very happy with the metal roof I got 8 years ago...no more shingles!!!

16. GarnerHome

GarnerHome Well-Known Member

There are easy install plastic boots you can buy to cover the whole pipe and surrounding area to stop leaks. Sold at Home Depot and maybe lowes. Mass produced but Company that invented it is run by two men from garner!