Limo Prices

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by smiles, Jan 14, 2013.

1. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

My son and a group of his friends are planning for prom...the kid in charge of the limo has told all of them (15 kids) that it will be $80 each for the limo.

That is $1200...more than my monthly mortgage payment! Does this sound "normal" or are they being taken for a ride because it's a teenager who called them? (I find it interesting NONE of the limo company websites I've looked at have prices listed.)

2. 42Local

42Local Well-Known Member

That's insane. We just rented a stretch Hummer on Saturday night. We had it for 5 hours and it cost us $550 with tax and tip. It was big enough to comfortably hold 20 adults.

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

It sounds high, but since every school in JoCo has their prom on the same night it might be a Valentines Day syndrome. You know, $10 roses suddenly cost $100.

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I'd have a parent call and negotiate a better price than a high schooler who will just take whatever they tell them.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Might those costs also include what us loosely call refreshments?

6. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

$80 sounds steep, but its a cheap price to pay to make sure everyone gets home safe and sound on a night when chances are, not everyone will do so, sadly.

7. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Is it possible the teenager that's in charge has added a markup for his own pocket? Just a thought.

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I would think it's $80 a couple, not each. If it is EACH, I would definitely call the limo company and see what they quote you for a 15 person limo ride for the prom.

9. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I personally recommend Blue Diamond Limousine service in Raleigh. We used them both years for DD's prom and we could not have been more pleased with their service. Best around in my opinion.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree:

11. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

I began doing my own research and getting quotes...Blue Diamond quoted $1359 PLUS a 20% gratuity added to the bill! OUCH!

12. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I went to the prom in a 1973 Dodge Dart. I don't se the need for a limo.

13. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

My son and his friends used Cowboy Limo in Dunn last year; the limo was a Hummer. There were 18 of the kids and they each paid $50.00.

Don't know what they are going to do this time; it is their Senior year. I really wished they had not put that much expense into it last year and saved all the better stuff for their Senior year. Also, tomorrow night is the 'Senior Ball'...thank goodness they are not doing a limo but I don't see the point in having this AND prom! :?

14. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Supply and demand. Economics 101......

15. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

:cheers:

16. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Many more kids on the roads these days during these proms. My daughter always rode in a limo and everyone split the cost. I felt safe, always met the other parents and the limo driver. The limo driver is given instructions and I knew exactly where my child was during the night.

When I went to prom we rode in a car and partied afterward. My parents did not know where exactly where we were afterwards. I actually skipped my senior prom to go see Ten Years After and have never regretted getting in trouble for doing so.

Sherry

17. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

If JCS would demand schools hold the proms AT SCHOOL, not in Raleigh, the driving would be more reasonable. (Not to mention it would lower the cost of the prom tickets significantly!)

Cowboylimo was the $1200 limo for the stretch Hummer.