Litter in Johnston County

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pcroom, Feb 22, 2018.

1. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

As long as they don't throw your post it notes by the side of the road, we can pick it up.

Hught likes this.
  2. cynadon

Hught likes this.
  3. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen it many many times coming out the top of full trucks. You drive down Josephine and tell me the majority of that trash comes from people and not trucks! That would just be blantantly absurd IMO.

I realize how much the typical person here hates Cary but we lived there many years ago, when there were still a lot of open areas and country roads. Trash was negligent, everywhere, even on country roads. That was because your trash was picked up by only one service, the city of Cary. The drivers knew that if they didn’t follow the rules by closing the top of their trucks while on the road, they would be fired.

It seems like every Tom, Dick & Harry are out there starting a trash pickup service that is in fact making the area worse, not cleaner. All in the hope that Waste Management will offer to buy them out someday.

poppin cork and DWK like this.
  4. somethingNother

somethingNother Active Member

Funny. And smart! Ever catch someone? What'd you do?

Hught likes this.
  5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I stopped to pick up some trash, which had evidently come out of the back of a commercial truck, near my office one time. It turned out to be old loan applications and financial documents from a large and well known bank. One call to the loan officer, who was no longer with the branch, got me shuffled to the head of the loan department to tell them what I had. Within 30 minutes there were several bank executives, an employee of the trash company and the sales person of the trash company picking up every piece of trash along the road from our location back to the branch and to the final destination of the truck. I don't think I ever saw bank management do so much in such a short period of time in my life.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    lgb0250, Auxie, BobF and 3 others like this.
  6. cynadon

sure we've caught people. Call the sheriff. They are more than happy handle it. We had a farm where somebody dumped a load of shingles. Somebody else came along and threw their household trash on the same pile. Thanks to mail in the bags, the sheriff made them clean up all of it! Another time, a subcontractor hired to deliver free phone books dumped a truck load of books on our property. The sheriff figured out who was hired for the area. They had to clean up the mess and got charged for fraud!!!

Maybe these folks should listen to "Alice's Restaurant"

certdude, poppin cork, Auxie and 2 others like this.
  7. cynadon

Wayne, I once received a computer from a bank branch that closed down and was left in the building. It was password protected but it was DOS based - 25 years ago. A little BIOS tinkering and bam. The software had been deleted but all the data files were intact and could be read as text. Names, numbers, $$$, SS numbers, everything. Good thing I'm fairly honest. I destroyed the HD and kept the rest for other projects.

8. Wayne Stollings

Did the Sheriff have 27 8 X 10 Color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back as evidence?

Rockyv58, Hught and cynadon like this.
  9. cynadon

Yes! To be used as evidence against us.

certdude likes this.
  10. Wayne Stollings

I have bought a few things from bankruptcy auctions over the years and some of the things I have found left in filing cabinets you would not believe. One from Cary had a whole batch of payroll and corporate checks, which evidently would not fit in their checkbook, along with a check writing machine and a signature stamp for the checks. There was no money in their accounts but someone could hit a bunch of places one Friday cashing "payroll" checks. This place also had molds to make condoms so you could be protected while they screwed you out of your money. Another place had copies of DOD schematics which all seemed to be classified at one time or another and they too had all of the employee information from SSN to direct deposit information.

11. Wayne Stollings

Be careful or you might wind up on the Group W bench with the mother rapers. father stabbers, and father
    Rapers!

certdude, Hught and cynadon like this.
  12. cynadon

We also had a large piece of eqipment vandalized. They spray painted fu## across about 15 square feet. Sheriff put up a hunter camera. It got stole. Sheriff put up another and another watching the first. A couple of high school kids got caught. Their parents had to pay us for a "factory John Deere paint job" as well as the county's cameras. $$$$$ You have any idea just how it cost to haul an oversized implement to an authorized John Deere paint booth?

Auxie likes this.
  13. Wayne Stollings

I came into the office one Monday to find that someone had parked a new (<30 hours) 4 wheel drive Cat backhoe on the "lawn" other side of our circular driveway. After a couple of weeks I had the Sheriff's department check to see if it was stolen. It wasn't reported stolen so I called the Cat service people with the serial number to see if they could give me a contact number. It belonged to a company out of SC so I called them and asked them to remove it so we could cut the grass. They gave me the NC superintendents number to call. I called and left a message three times without any reply before I called a friend who had a tow truck and storage yard. After a year or so he was needing money so he was going to auction it off for the storage fees. I called another friend who was doing grading work and told him to check it out. He wound up buying the thing for less than 20K, which you know was a steal. He loved it until he had the Cat service people down around Charlotte service it. The tech saw that it had at some point been flagged as stolen and called the cops. My friend was taken down to the Sheriff's office where they reviewed the paperwork on the sale, made a couple of calls and finally apologized for the inconvenience. My friend ripped the Cat service department a new one for not bothering to at least ask about the situation since he had been doing business with them for years. They gave him the service call on it and one other piece of equipment for free and had a long talk with the tech on how he should proceed in the future, which was call the manager and let them decide when to call the police in a situation like that.

Auxie likes this.
  14. cynadon

Same thing happened to us with a CAT dozer. We bought it at auction. It was reported stolen once upon a time and recovered. The paper work was never corrected / undone until we showed up at Gregory Poole.

15. cynadon

CAT don't play. You got to have 3 sets of numbers for your machine or I don't think they would put air in a tire for you!

16. Wayne Stollings

I had keep a log of the times and dates of the contact with the company in case they ever reported it stolen and came to me wanting to know why I did not allow them to pick it back up. I could have just as easily had it hauled to the farm in Virginia and used it to clear a spot for a cabin ... if I had been so inclined. I still had a key that would start it so I drove it onto the wrecker to save time and effort. They did not even look for it for almost a year after they left it at my place either.

17. Wayne Stollings

Yep, but they really backed down when the cops take an old and not that small of a customer in to prove ownership without any attempt to find out what the story was. I ren a 450-B John Deere track loader for a couple of years while I was in college. I had to do all of the maintenance on it myself. I suppose if something truly broke and I could not have fixed it they might have called in a tech. they had an old IH dozer that was so old it had a cable lift blade that dropped by gravity. The operator was so scared of it he would always push up a pile of dirt in front of him to go down a hill. That way he had to push to go downhill. He did not understand that my JD had street tracks while his had mud cleats. I wound up going down a hill one day in the middle of winter where my tracks were stopped but they were sliding on the frozen ground like the biggest sled you ever saw. It did not build up too much speed and being young and invincible I did not try to dig the bucket in until I was almost to the bottom, which just watching scared him to the point of never going down without pushing something in front of him even in the middle of summer.

Auxie likes this.
  18. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

most of litter is from the trucks hauling dumpsters from construction sites. new houses/sub divisions/apartments and commercial are back to pre recession levels (or close). following those trucks, they are supposed to have tamps over the dumpster, but most are frayed/shredded and loose papers are flying out.

If you get the dumpster haulers to maintain that tarp, litter would be reduced a lot.

Auxie likes this.
  19. Wayne Stollings

1. No vehicle shall be driven or moved on any highway unless the vehicle is constructed and loaded to prevent any of its load from falling, blowing, dropping, sifting, leaking, or otherwise escaping therefrom, and the vehicle shall not contain any holes, cracks, or openings through which any of its load may escape. However, sand may be dropped for the purpose of securing traction, or water or other substance may be sprinkled, dumped, or spread on a roadway in cleaning or maintaining the roadway. For purposes of this subsection, load does not include water accumulated from precipitation.

Auxie and certdude like this.
  20. Wayne Stollings

DWK and Auxie like this.