Local Churches

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by WoodyUDoin, May 28, 2014.

1. WoodyUDoin

WoodyUDoin New Member

Hey yall! I am new to the area and am looking to become a member of a church! I found a website that I really like but none of the churches they list are in our area :cry:

Here is what I'm looking for in my future church (taken directly from the website http://www.progressivechurches.org) If any of this sounds like something in this area please let me know! Its not fun commuting to Raleigh for worship!

"If you understand that faith is a matter of mind as well as heart,
    and that taking the Bible seriously means
    it cannot always be taken literally...

If you know that God's love embraces all persons equally,
    no matter their gender, race, or sexual identity...

If, for you, diversity, tolerance, and inclusivity
    are strengths to be taught…

If you believe that the Christ calls us to be nothing less
    than global citizens,
    that the social expression of love is justice,
    and that spiritual concerns are
    inseparable from commitment to the natural world...

If you've wished for a more open and
    embracing community of faith to nurture
    your spirit and raise your children"

2. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

not sure where the gay churches are..

3. WoodyUDoin

WoodyUDoin New Member

Not really searching for a "Gay" church... just one that teaches love for everyone. I will not raise my children with hate in their heart when the lord preaches love.

4. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

you stated not having to drive to raleigh but pullen baptist church in raleigh meets your criteria. you may find some closer that claim they meet your specs but deep down most members really do not agree 100% with your beliefs.
    http://www.pullen.org/

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Ignore Buzz... are you looking for a particular denomination? Large congregation or small? There are churches on just about every corner around here - finding the right "fit" can be a bit daunting!

6. tatorgirl

tatorgirl Active Member

7. WoodyUDoin

WoodyUDoin New Member

Not looking for a particular denomination just one that helps individuals grow their personal relationship with God. I firmly believe that it is not our place to judge others by their sin... that's God's job. My job is to love my fellow human beings and to live my life in the image of god as best as I can. Basically a love the sinner hate the sin stance with no judgements on how others choose to live their lives.

8. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

It's in Raleigh, but I still go there for the very reasons you state.

Crossroads Fellowship
    http://www.crossroads.org/

9. WoodyUDoin

WoodyUDoin New Member

Awesome! I'll have to check those out but hopefully the mad crazy love church will be what I'm looking for. I commute to the RTP all week and would prefer to stay local on the weekends... especially with all of the beach traffic that's popping up!

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Raleigh has members that follow a number of religions and a significant percentage considers themselves progressive Chrisitians. The Raleigh Church has over 500 members but some cities, unfortunately not Clayton, have smaller congregations such as my current one in Fayetteville which has about 30 members.

http://www.uua.org/

11. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

http://www.mvc2.org/

Mount vernon Christian church in Clayton all is welcome and they are wonderful.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  12. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Check out Wellspring community on 42 east just past west Clayton elementary.

13. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Elizabeth United Methodist Church, located at 4269 Cleveland Rd., Smithfield, welcomes everyone. It is a small but active church, and we invite you to visit any Sunday. Worship service begins at 10:00 am.

Auxie likes this.
  14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Speaking of welcoming, Howdy!

15. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

And to help God make their lives better.

16. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

did op find their church? it has been 2+ years since op. i like happy endings!

17. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Welcome to the South, and I do hope that you will find the church that best fits your needs, although I would strongly caution you not to paint Southerners with the adversarial broad brush that you seem to have put forward here in your inquiry. Yes, the overriding tradition here is conservative, and there is nothing wrong with that perspective. You will find a wide array of people living here, but it would be a mistake to ignore, or feel superior to the traditionalism that informs this part of the country, and always will. Remember, conservatism and traditionalism don't always equal hate. Try to keep that in mind as you live your life here, and try to learn something. Personally, I do not condone any form of hate, as I believe in following the words of Jesus Christ - and I doubt that I can agree with everything that you have put forth on your list. But remember: Treat people well without any preconceived notions and you will prosper here, but do respect that the majority will not agree with your " socially progressive" ideas here. Give yourself some time, and you may be very surprised by what you find here in the South. Take your blinders off. That's what's called having an open mind. In fact, stay a few years here, and then go back to where you came from, and I will guarantee that you'll come running back! Good luck, and God Bless.

Auxie and poppin cork like this.