Local Orphanage/Children's charity?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MamaApe, Oct 30, 2010.

1. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

My DD has decided to raise money to donate :) We will be selling Christmas trees this year and I recommended she set up a hot chocolate table to raise money. Can anyone recommend a local orphanage or another childrens charity that may benefit? (we will already donate to the Christmas Angels) but I was hoping for a place specifically helping children that I could take her and she could give them the $$ she raised. Any help is greatly appreciated! I will re-post dates & time etc in case ya'll would like to come buy some hot chocolate as well :)

2. HeidiB

HeidiB Active Member

Check out Methodist Home for Children. www.mhfc.org
    They do foster care, adoption and have group homes, with a girls home in North Hills. Great organization.....
    Thanks for doing this....its inspiring. :cheers:

3. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Oxford Orphanage. HBA helps them every year.

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

When I was growing up in Fayetteville before we moved here my sis had a friend that lived there. Very worthy cause.

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Here's another one. The Free Will Baptist Childrens Home in Middlesex.
    www.fwbchildrenshome.org

Another good charity might be the Me Fine Foundation. www.mefinefoundation.org. I think they are more about giving financial support to families who have children that are terminally sick, its still a good organization.

6. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

Do you mean the Masonic Children's Home? If so :iagree:

7. cece

cece Well-Known Member

8. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

The Ronald McDonald houses around the area would be good too.

9. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Awesome MamaApe, yes let us know where it is.

This is a great local charity right here in Clayton. They deliver book bags filled with goodies to children that are in the hospital for extended periods of time.

http://nickelbyproject.org/MissionStatement.htm

10. ncgal

ncgal Well-Known Member

Another charity based in Clayton that helps children and their families while they are in a long term hospitalization is The Dancing Butterfly Foundation.

http://www.dancingbutterflyfoundation.org/index.html

Thery provide toys and activities for children while hospitalized, gift cards for families, and help furnish local Ronald McDonald houses.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i know it is not a big formal thing but she could always raise money for the 4042 Christmas Angels and be helping out kids in her own area have a Christmas - might mean something to her helping out local kids, just an idea.

12. cece

cece Well-Known Member

That is a good idea Kaci!

13. cmdknw06

cmdknw06 Well-Known Member

Ape--She could always raise $$ and donate it to the Duke Pediatric Bone Marrow floor...those kids and families are always needing new toys, money and other things. Best part is, if you let them know early, she could deliver it herself and see the kids she's helping! Let me know if you need any help with anything!