Lookin' for some Churchin'

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Jenna's Mom, May 23, 2010.

1. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

It can be hard to find a good church. I've been to several, but still haven't found one I feel at home at. So, let me tell you what I'm looking for.

I liked C3 for its sermons and music, but its WAY too big. My grandmother's church has a weekly attendance of around 40. WAY to small. The church I grew up in near Fayetteville, NC, seemed to max out around 500 people or so a Sunday.

Needs a kids program for my 4 year old, however, they need to be understanding that he is slightly autistic with some speech/language delays and can be pretty hyper.

I like a mix of music, I enjoyed that C3 incorporated a lot of modern contemporary christian praise and worship, but I like the old hymns too.

Would prefer real Sunday School classes for adults as well as Bible Study classes available at different times during the week to include morning bible studies.

I live near Meadow, NC, so not too far of a drive may be nice as well.

Thanks.

2. tatertot36

tatertot36 Well-Known Member

Hocutt Baptist Church

We go to Hocutt Batpist Church (www.hocuttbaptist.com) located in downtown Clayton and really enjoy it. They have 2 services - 8:30 (more contempory with a praise band and mostly praise music) and 11:00 (more traditional with mix of praise and hymns and a choir) with Sunday School in between.

They have lots of children's activities and even and special needs Sunday School class.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Karen

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I go to the Church at Clayton Crossings, off Hwy.70 in Clayton (behind McDonalds). Has great music and a contemporary feel. There are many autistic children in our church and we even have a special program offered on Tuesday nights for them (for those that attend the church as well as just live in the community). Great program for kids of all ages. There are bible study groups almost every night of the week as well as many on Sundays. There are many in the church in your child's age group. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good Luck in your search. We are blessed to have a lot of good one's in our area.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Down around your neck of the woods, there are a lot of Pentecostal FWB churches to choose from that do contemporary and old hymn book singing. From what I understand, many of them work to appeal to the youth while preserving the traditional aspect of country church type worship. Personally, I'm okay with both types of singing and music, but I'd rather sing from a hymn book than from a projector screen. The old time hymnal songs are more familiar to me.

5. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

Jester,

I may have to try out a Pentacostal FWB, but to be honest, they've always kinda scared me. I dunno if it was FWB or not, but I went to one a few times with one of my best friends in High School. Lets just say it was a culture shock. Don't get me wrong, they were nice and all, but something about all the whooping and hollering and running around the pews and falling over in tongues took away from what the preacher was saying and frankly, was very distracting.

I don't know if all Pentacostals are like that and I went there a few times with my friend, but every time, yeah, it was like that.

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a Church of God experience to me. The Pentecostal Holiness churches often do a lot of 'amening' but the FWB are rather quiet in their worship. At least those are my experiences. The Pentecostal infused with the FWB makes for a slightly more enthusiast service than a FWB alone (mostly music and a few amens) but I don't think it will be cultural shock for you or your son. Actually, I grew up in a FWB environment and your experience sounds nothing like the FWB service I am familar with. I've been to a PFWB church before and felt welcomed and right at home with the worship service and Sunday School. Of course, within each denomination are churches and each church is different I suppose. Now, I believe in speaking in tongues (although I never have) in the right circumstances but the only relatively common denomination that I know of for this area with the running up and down the aisles, dancing and the hollering is Church of God. You won't find no free will baptist dancing in the aisles unless a squirrel runs up someone's overalls per Ray Stevens. :jester:

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  7. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

We would love to have you at Plymouth Church on Rock Service Station Rd. www.PlymouthChurchOnline.com

There is a mix of contemporary music & sermons. We have loved it there for about 2 years. We are growing quickly and have a lot to offer, feel free to PM me for more details/directions. Good Luck on your search! We are so happy that we have found our church home :)

8. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Just sent you a PM with more info but we would love to have you visit Highland Baptist Church off Crowder Rd (near Sauls Rd and ten-ten)! VBS starts in 3 weeks too and that is always a huge turn out with lots of fun and fellowship for the kids! There are 2 services on Sudays, with lots of Sunday School classes to choose from and then Bible Studies offered several times a week too. :) Have a great day!!!

www.highlandbaptistchurch.org

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  9. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I'm kinda in between churches right now. Was going to a non-denominational church that followed a Church of God demeanor but without the legalism and religious aires. It was just way to small and had nothing for kids.

I also need a church that I can feel free to worship in. If I feel led to dance or pray in tongues or if I do fall out, I want to know that it is permitted and that my spirit won't be held back. I need something for my kids as well. I have teens and a 12 year old. I need them in a good, Godly enviroment that they can learn in and grow on their level. I want to feel welcome and comfortable.

Does anyone have any suggestions? thanks in advance!

10. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

West Clayton Church of God. Highway 42W, on the right coming out of Clayton.

Although not my personal cup of tea (I was raised in and prefer a more reserved service with the "olden golden" hymns), my kids, aged 14 and 16 attend SS, 11AM worship and Wednesday night services, and enjoy the services as well as the people. I attend several local churches, as well as Faith Harbor UMC when I'm on Topsail Island, but after sunrise service at the beach, I came home Easter morning to go to church with my children. I left that morning truly moved and glad I had made the trip back. It's a very spirit filled church with a good youth program that keeps my kids involved.

11. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

Hocutt Baptist

I second Tatertot's recommedation for Hocutt Baptist. I have been attending there for a number of years and would highly recommend the 8:30 service if you prefer the Praise & Worship service.

We do offer an excellent childrens program (Pastor Drew Farr is the children's pastor). As mentioned, there is a Sunday School class for our special needs children with an excellent group of ladies/gentlemen who work with this group. These volunteers either have been trained to work with special needs and/or have children/grandchildren with special needs - so they have a "heart" for these children.

We also offer Awanas during the school year and Upward basketball during the winter months.

Please look at our website and call Pastor Drew with any questions that you may have.

We do have Sunday School classes that are offered to couples/singles and Bible Study on Wednesday mornings. Also, there are different discipleship classes offered that are taught by some of our ladies during the week (mornings and/or nights) and other discipleship classes that are taught by some of the men and/or couples in our church at nights.

We hope that you will visit our church and be blessed by the messages that are brought by Dr. Roy.

Last edited: May 25, 2010