Looking to sell diamonds, watches and gold

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bissielizzie, Nov 3, 2015.

1. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

After reviewing our insurance coverage, we have come to the conclusion that we are insuring a lot of jewelry that we no longer wear. We have been trying to find a jeweler to appraise and buy our pieces. We are not interest in Ebay, craigslist or other self-sell sites. We are old school and just want to sit down with a knowledgeable certified gemologist and get a fair market price for our once loved pieces.
    So anyone out there had a similar situation and found someone they loved working with?

2. John Carr

John Carr Well-Known Member

Main Street in Clayton

Sherry A. and tassy like this.
  3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

frankie walker. jewelry unlimited. goldsboro. (919) 751-3899

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Just be prepared for the difference in list or replacement value and wholesale or estate wholesale will be.

5. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

I second Main Street in Clayton

tassy likes this.
  6. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I agree, Main Street Jewelers is great. 919-553-0803

tassy likes this.
  7. trident2

trident2 Well-Known Member

Do not be surprised if they offer you a lot less than its worth. We were going to sell an old ring to a jeweler several years ago, that was purchased back in 1967 for almost 10K. Their offer was $300.00. We decided to keep the ring! :)

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If you have appraisals for it, try Ebay. If you don't have appraisals, still try Ebay. Weight the items, look up gold prices and list your items. Many people buy the gold for the metal content alone, but some may be looking for the piece itself. With Ebay you are harnessing a much larger marketplace than some guy behind a counter who will pay you pennies on the dollar (because he has to make a profit too).

Kelyel and trident2 like this.
  9. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

I've had two high end rings appraised and another consigned with John McFadden and I wouldn't take my jewelry anywhere else!
    He has two locations, one is a booth that gets fairly heavy traffic in the middle of Agri Supply and then his wife, Jovi, runs their storefront in Clayton (Jewelry Design Studio and Repairs 417 E. Main St.).
    Phone: 919-865-7295
    John has better than fair appraisal /value verification pricing and is quite knowledgeable and friendly.
    Website is: www.jewelerjohnstudio.com
    and they are also on Facebook.
    Hope this helps! :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    tassy and Wayne Stollings like this.
  10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

John and Jovi are great, very honest, trustworthy, and do beautiful work!! He also teaches a jewelry making class at the Clayton Community Center.

jlc007 likes this.