Mental health parent support group--

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I know I said I was going to get this started a few weeks ago but it just took some time w/ things going on at the house. We had discussed on here having a parent support group possibly w/ parents who have children w/ mental health issues. This can be anything from ADHD to bipolar to depression to you name it. There are many, many mental health dx's as I'm sure you're all aware. Knowing you are not alone in this as a parent makes it much more bearable. I would like to meet other parents from this area who would like to just casually chat about issues. Whether it be dx's, IEP's, meds, socialization issues or what have you, just talk. Sometimes someone else has an idea that works and something that can be applied in your family. You just never know. I have met someone on here that has a child that is also going through some tough times. I think having the support of each other helps immensely. To see if anyone is still interested, just let me know whether on here or privately. I also receive emails at home at boydbunch@gmail.com. Just put support group in the subject line so I know. I do adoption advocacy work in my spare time so try to read through emails quickly by subject line. Thought we could all get together this Saturday afternoon maybe around 4pm or so. Bring the family, kids. No one has to know what it's for. Just some friends getting together for a cookout. I'm sure that some of the kids may already know each other. Our house is indeed kid friendly. From toddlers to teens. Again, just let me know. This is more of a meet and greet type thing & possibly discussing if we may want to have a monthly meeting or something of that sorts. Look forward to meeting some of you.

Stephanie--mom to 7

2. Abdulina

bumping up.

3. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

Girl, come to NAMI Walks Saturday! Perfect place to meet other people in similar situations while raising awareness and fighting the stigma associated with mental illnesses! It's a family friendly event with face painting, a clown, balloon animals, slushies from TGIFridays, a DJ before the walk and a live band after! Also NAMI Johnston County chapter has a support meeting every Thursday at Hocutt Memorial in Clayton! :)

4. Abdulina

What time Saturday & where?? Also, is the meeting at Hocutt have childcare or just a parent thing? Let me know. Thanks.