Microsoft Plus Digital Media Edition.

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Rockyv58, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I am rebuilding one of my older machines. Still trying to figure out why I have the yellow question mark on the PCI communications, but that is something I am still trying to figure out. I put on Windows XP home and I added the Plus pack for it no problem. But when I go to put on the Plus Digital Media Edition. it wants the Product key. I called Microsoft and got passed around (like a cheap whore) from one Indian tech to another Indian tech. And after about an hour on the phone they gave me a case number and put me in the que for the windows desk. When the tech picked up the line was extremely crackly and I could hardly hear her and I think she could hardly hear me. About the only thing I could make out was the last four digits of their help number then they hung up.

ARGH!!!! I am so freaking sick of tech support being exported overseas.

Any thoughts on how I can obtain the key? It is a legit copy I bought about 10 years ago. I figure I bought it and registered it, it should be easy enough for them to look my name up in a database and let me know what the key was.

2. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

On April 8, 2014 Windows XP will no longer be supported. You're seeing the build up of total non-support coming. Be sure to run an XP Security Essentials Update shortly before that date so you'll have the most current fixes.

When you are loading the Plus Digital Media Edition, are you letting the DVD auto run? If you are, try loading the software through windows explorer.

Open the DVD drive location and in the main directory there should be a 'setup.exe' file. Right click it and then choose "run as administrator". Sometimes that will get you past the activation key process. Has something to do with a registry check for administrator permissions and using existing software activation keys.

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Why not just upgrade to Win7?

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I'm running a bunch of programs that will not run on win 7. As far as support goes. Last night was the first time ever I called Microshot. I wasn't looking for support but hopefully to get a key code for a product I bought legally years ago. I'll just probably get it off of amazon for under 12.00 if i decide to do that. I just get enfuriated by Indian support.

Just to let you know I use to do support for windows 95 and OS/2 warp when I worked for IBM.