Microwave Help

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Lucy, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

So, my microwave needs to be repaired. :cry: For starters, the keypad is slightly knocked in to where it is hard to press the buttons. Once you get past that issue, it will light up and count down how long you use it for, but it won't heat/cook the food. I am in need of someone to come out and take a look at it and fix it but I need recommendations. Who all would you recommend to come out and fix this for me? Of course, reliable and reasonably priced. Thanks!

2. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Lucy this is not meant to offend you but you are probaby better off getting a new one than trying to repair it. Most electronics are like that nowdays.

3. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

not offended. I just hate it since that microwave is only 4 yrs old.

4. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Buy a new one.

5. david4042

david4042 Well-Known Member

Lucy:

One thing you can try is to check if the fuse inside the Microwave is burn.
    I have one (Panasonic), and I replaced the fuse (might be 3 years now), and it work.

David4042

6. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

Thanks all! I will go to Lowes and get some quotes of new ones.

7. jayNjulie

jayNjulie Member

n/m didnt read post correctly. Buy new one or used off craigslist

8. jjganny

jjganny Well-Known Member

As cheap as you can buy new microwaves, probably better to buy new. Same thing with my dishwasher.

9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

10. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I agree with you Rocky. I still have some of my grandmother's kitchen things and her mixer. I only had to replace the cord as it got corroded, but it runs like a champ, along with the meat grinder. I am proud to still be using some of her pots and pans. Some that I bought have never lasted, but hers I have had for over 35 years, and she had used them atleast 30-40 years.

I have had 6 microwaves bite the dust. When my dad moved from his home 7 years ago, I was given their microwave that they got in the 70's and that thing still runs great.

11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I am in total agreement. I have lots of kitchen items passed down from my grandmothers and they are still wonderful. Of course the different size iron skillets, but lots of other stuff that is as good as new. I, also, have a lot of the furniture and it sure seems to hold up better than the stuff I purchased in later years.

Sherry

12. Rockyv58

I have my grandfathers Craftsman drill. It must be over 50 years old and still had the steel case. It still works great. Will use it for stuff at my level or below. For drilling over head i will use one with a plastic case just cause its about half the weight.

I still have my sears steam iron from the early 80's I still use.

I'll bet that 70's microwave still has the twist timer and not the led timer on it

13. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

I would much rather keep my microwave than buy new, but more than likely, new is the way to go at this point. I will keep researching potential repair places, though. I am glad to hear that some of you have had your items for a long time - that's awesome! My mom has some items too that are old and still going strong - so amazing!

14. Rockyv58

When I was driving home yesterday I had seen an appliance repair van on I-40 but I didn't get close enough to get the phone number off of it. sorry

15. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The minimum cost of the repair van folks make it less than economical. I used them once for a problem I could not troubleshoot on a washer and it was $100.00 for them to walk in the door. Then the parts and labor to fix the problem were additional. If it had been a cheaper washer it would not have been worth it.

16. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

True. In the end, 9 times out of 10, it is probably best to just go buy a new one. Thanks for sharing.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Not related to topic but I got a bit of a chuckle with Pig Pen using a dishwasher. As soon as he pulls a dish out he would have to put it back in. 8)

18. Rockyv58

When I bought my home back in 2000, it had all the appliances. My roommate and I had noticed the the fridge was not getting cold and the freezer part was icing up. One day we even went and took everything out of the freezer and got out all the ice. The fridge was still under warranty and I called the appliance place to come out. The guy showed up and did absolutely no troubleshooting. Blamed it on the case of beer and that was causing the fridge not to get cold. Did not explain why the freezer was icing up. And he charged me 20.00. I ended up calling whirlpool and they came out. Turns out the thermostat needed to be replaced and it cost me 115.00 I ended up calling the appliance store back and demanded my 20.00. First and last time I ever dealt with that appliance store.

19. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Several people including us have used Mr. Appliance in Cary for all kinds of appliances and been very satisfied with them. Isn't there a repair place on Commerce off 1010?

20. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I agree that with the newer items, it is usually cheaper to replace. I had my Mama's hand mixer up until last year. It is the only one I ever remember in our kitchen growing up and it was there before I was. I am 38! I also have a toaster that mom bought at a yard sale when I moved to my college apartment in 1998. She paid a buck for it then and I am still using it. 8)