Monster.com Career Fair 3/31

Discussion in 'Jobs Network' started by JustAnotherMom, Mar 18, 2009.

1. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

2. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hey JAM, can you forward that email to my home addy - not for me but someone else might benefit from it. Thanks sweetie:)

3. JustAnotherMom

done :)

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

thanks so much:grouphug:

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Thanks. Look for me on TV as I'll try to be the first in line so I am able to get to all companies involved.

Lifesaver,
    Sherry :hurray:

6. JustAnotherMom

Good luck!!

7. Sherry A.

Thanks so very much!

Getting my hair colored on Friday, taking suits to be cleaned and polishing the resume'. While I continue to go on interviews nothing seems to pan out. I just have a good feeling about this one and so very much appreciate you putting it out here for us!

Sherry

8. Sherry A.

Urgent Reminder

tomorrow is the Monster.com job fair at the North Raleigh Hilton starting at 10:00 am. Checkout Monster.com or abc11.com for details. It is suggested that all looking for jobs bring many copies of their resume' and dress in business attire.

Good luck to one and all. I am spending the remainder of my day tweaking my resume' as it has been suggested to have different versions, if possible, for specific jobs in a field. Example: I'm an Accountant and have skills in various positions of corporate and non-profit accounting so I will be printing off a resume' with an emphasis on Fixed Assets, a resume' with an emphasis on Corporate Controller, with an emphasis on Business Personal Property Tax, etc. I stated "a" but I will print off multiple in each category.

Once again, good luck to one and all! I am both nervous and excited.........

Sherry

9. Sherry A.

10. Sherry A.

For those who did not go to the Career Fair please make sure you can attend if something like this ever comes around again. Twenty nine companies had booths. I arrived two hours in advance and was seventh in line. The first in line arrived at six thirty am. Some the companies were:

BB&T
    First Citizens Bank
    Elster Electric
    Alphanumeric
    Colonial Life
    Envisionary iCare
    Pinpoint Resource Group
    Technisource
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    The Preferred Client Group

Along with others. Not sure how many they let in to begin with but I was, of course, in the first group to go in. There were four rows of various booths with employees from each company waiting to speak with a potential employee. All of the booths took up about 2/3 of the room and the last 1/3 was setup for a seminar with a Monster.com Human Resource person. It took around two to three hours to get through and speak with each company representative and then half an hour listening to the HR guy. He talked about how to dress, resumes, interviews, followups, etc.

I realized right away that most every company was looking for Engineers, IT People, Scientists. I found three companies interested in my profession with two stating they would call me tomorrow. It was very well organized and everyone in our group attending was patient.

The longest line of interest of any company was Elster Electric. They were looking for quite a few Engineers and Computer People.

All booths had goodies...pens, cup holders, pads of paper, one had a small brain that is squishy and fits in the palm of a hand, loads of candy and information.

The N&O was taking pictures and ABC11 was their. When I left the line of people went from around the conference rooms (Monster employees only let a certain amount in at a time), through the lobby and outside around the Hilton Hotel. Ages of people looking for jobs ranged from the early 20s to early 80s.

Awesome for Monster and ABC to put this thing together and I appreciate this Thread. Actually have homework because we must email each company with a thank you and write a thank you note to mail tomorrow.

Keep your fingers crossed,
    Sherry

11. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I got my fingers crossed for you, all that was way over my experience.
    Sheri

12. Sherry A.

No, it was not. You underrate yourself. Heck, only one company needed any financial people but I kept going and asking and sure enough I found three more that knew their Accounting Department needed personnel so they took my resume and now two have told me that they will call tomorrow morning.

Sure, I felt out of place to begin with when I realized that most were looking for Engineers, IT and Scientists but I shook it off and went on with what looks like 1,700 other people for around 450 jobs (the job number does not include those I found had openings in my field).

We all do what we can. Talk soon.

Sherry