Morning traffic on Cornwallis/42

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by joann, Feb 5, 2014.

1. joann

joann Member

Why is there so much traffic between 7:30 am- 8:00 am heading down Cornwallis to 42 from Southills subdivision? It takes me approximately 10 minutes just to get to the 42 light :(

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I cannot verify this, but it seems to be worse on rainy and cold days when people would rather drive their children to school then have them wait at the bus stop. Then traffic from at least three schools heads back to I-40. That is my assumption.

3. gdogg79

gdogg79 Well-Known Member

I have been wondering the same thing as I come from Pleasant Woods at the same time. It seemed to me that it is worse on days when I40 is backed up more than usual. Most of the Cornwallis traffic is continuing on Cornwallis and not turning left or right onto 42, so I guessed they were going down Cornwallis and bypassing 40.

4. joann

joann Member

That could be the reason since 40 was miserable this morning. I had to take 70 to downtown Raleigh to Crabtree. However, I've been frustrated with that same traffic every morning this week so far. It does loosen up on the other side of the light on 42. I was wondering if something else was going on the other side of town.

5. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Most of them are either going up and across Raynor to 70 or up directly to 70 and then getting on 40 thus bypassing the calamity at the Clayton bypass. There are some mornings traffic backs up for a very long way at the 42 light and others it doesn't. I haven't been able to figure out why its different day to day.

6. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

In the last several years traffic on Cornwallis has at the very least tripled. Those that have their driveways or live in subdivisions on this road have a very tough time pulling out, which has caused several bad wrecks in the last couple of months. I think this comes from several different issues. The most disturbing are the idiots speeding down Cornwallis way over the speed limit, this in turn makes it very challenging for those trying to find an opening to get onto the road with all those cars trying to qualify for the Indy 500 and it's going to get worse. They need to get that Southeastern Triangle Expressway done to help alleviate the stress on these secondary roads.

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I wonder if it has anything to do with the bridge on down Cornwallis opening up recently?

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh, of course. *face palm* Someone opened the gates.

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

http://wtsbradio.com/localnews-wp.php

In the coming weeks, each of the 14 NCDOT Transportation Divisions across the state will submit its top transportation priorities to compete with other transportation improvements across the state for funding under the new formula. To help determine these priorities, each division is asking local residents to provide their thoughts on which transportation improvements are most important. Projects can be as large-scale as an interstate improvement or as small as a new turn lane or traffic signal, and can be for any mode of transportation, including public transit, bicycle/pedestrian, ferry, aviation and rail.

Residents can take part in the process by making their suggestions during a public comment period ending Wednesday, Feb. 12. Each Transportation Division will host a public open house to meet with local residents and obtain feedback regarding transportation priorities.

In Division Four, which includes Edgecombe, Halifax, Johnston, Nash, Wayne and Wilson counties, the open house will be from 4 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 6 at the Wilson Agricultural Center, located at 1806 SW Goldsboro Street in Wilson.

In addition, written comments can be submitted via email to NCDOT Division Four Program and Schedule Support Manager Jimmy Eatmon at jeatmon@ncdot.gov or regular mail to NCDOT Division Four, Attention: STI, 509 Ward Blvd., Wilson, N.C. 27895. All comments must be received by 5 p.m. on Feb. 12.

More information about the Strategic Transportation Investments law and how it works, and the public meetings can be found on the NCDOT website.

10. joann

joann Member

The routes you mention are exactly what I take. However, once you get to the light on 42 it moves freely. The bottleneck is at that light. I assume it's the people turning left or right that move over to those lanes, but it's really one long, long line until you get to the point where they fan out and we can move through the light. Maybe the light timing itself needs to be changed for more of us to pass through who are going straight. I'm not an engineer, but something has to be done.