Moving Questions

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Sep 4, 2010.

1. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

My mother is moving here from out of state soon. What is the cheapest way to move her stuff (3 rooms house) and a small suv? Moving van? Rental truck? Box pick-up rental? Any suggestions?

2. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

Moving

When I moved here (January 2009), I used ABF Freight. They give you a tractor trailer (28 feet long) and you have 3 days to load. After the trailer is loaded, they pick it up and it took 4 days to deliver from Upstate NY. Then you have 3 days to unload.
    They charge by how much of the trailer was used and may take longer if you only use part of the trailer and have to find another customer to fill it.
    We used the entire trailer at a cost of $1450.00 as opposed to $7300.00 quoted by a regular moving company. We also had so much stuff that I had to rent a 16 foot truck from Uhaul. Total cost with gas, the 2nd truck and helpers was just over $2,000.
    On the Uhaul website are links to hire a number of 'helpers' for loading and unloading. They charged us 25.00 an hour for 2 guys and it took them about 4.5 hours to unload. The helper websites are listed with reviews from former customers.
    Before we moved, we checked out Pods but they were more expensive.

3. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

When we moved here, we debated usingthe ABF, we should have! We did the U-Haul. I can't remember what is cost. We did use their helpers, and they were great! Totally worth it. If we move again, we have more stuff now, we will go with the ABF deal.