My............how things change

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Jul 18, 2010.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I spent a great weekend with my really special (to me of course) Grandmother. I got her to sign up for her own Facebook Page this morning, and we had an interesting conversation about how much things have changed since she was growing up. She is 78 and grew up with the only lighting being keronsene lanterns and today...................... she has a FB page. Honestly, it's just amazing. What is even more amazing, is that at her age, she is willing and able to embrace learning something new, we set her up on her own laptop. I hope I am half as inquisitive and active as she is at her age. She raised 7 children, ran a dairy farm until 1988, got a career in her 50's and was a "feminist" before the term was ever coined. God help anyone who got in her way.

Here is a pic of her from HS, she is on the bottom row, second from the left.
    [​IMG]
    Here is to those that have paved the way for us. :cheers:

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

That is awesome!

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

That reminded me of another woman I saw at my eye doctor's office week before last. She looked to be about 70 and was occupying the time with a netbook, too.

4. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I was sitting at the Dr's office this week with my son and overheard two elderly people, well into their 70's, talking about e-mailing. I think it's great when our past generations take it upon themselves to learn the more updated ways of communication. It also tickles me to see little old ladies whip out their cell phones...LOL! These days, people don't have much of choice as to at least having access and knowing how to use a computer. And to think, I was amazed back in the '80's when I could watch music videos 24 hours a day!

5. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

i remember one time i saw DB's grandma answer the phone and she kepted saying, "hello? hello?' she was holding the phone up side down. it was one of those giant cordless phones. it was SO funny!
    grandma, sure do miss her.

DB's wife

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

kdc,

Thanks for sharing all of that. The picture is very awesome.

Sherry