Nail Clipper vs. PediPaws

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by Luvgoose1, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We have a chocolate lab who needs his nails clipped badly. Problem is when we try to do it, he jerks his paw away and despite our efforts, we just can't take the chance of hurting him. He has never been anywhere but the vet so I don't really want to take him to a groomer. We've seen the pedipaws nail grinder in PetSmart and I wonder if anyone has tried it. It appears to be less traumatic than trying to hard clip nails.

2. FrameMaMa

FrameMaMa Well-Known Member

I got one of those pedi paws things, and I don't care for it...first it grinds the nail down and if not careful you can still hurt them...but the motor that runs it is very weak and no sooner do you touch the nail with it, it stops the wheel...this is most likely for safety, but makes the tool useless for big dogs...
    my dog would not sit still long enough for this...I take my babies to the vet for this...I am too afraid of hurting them...

3. youdontsay

youdontsay Active Member

Is your dog scared of the nail clippers? If so, you will have to be pretty careful with the PediPaws. They aren't quiet. I've also heard from friends who've used one that a regular dremel is a better choice for bigger dogs with bigger, tougher nails. The other recommendation is that you trim the hairs that are close to the nail so they do not get caught up in the PediPaws and pulled out!

I was a bit mean to my two ... the second or third day each of them got here, while they were still a bit intimidated by their surroundings, I put them in my lap, on their backs, and tucked their heads behind my left elbow. Then I clipped their nails. Neither of them struggled much, and I just waited till they were calm again and then resumed clipping. Thankfully both of them caught on pretty quickly and learned to love getting their cookies afterward. Now it's a non-event for both of them and I like to do it right after they've gotten baths, since their nails will be a little softer from being in the water, and they're easier to cut through that way.

I do hate doing my black dog's nails because they're solid and you can't see the quick. I haven't quicked him yet, but it's probably a matter of time. The hound has white feet and clear nails, so that makes life easier! :)

I did try the PediPaws, but the hound was completely traumatized by it. He's a bit of a pansy anyway, and I figured if he tolerated the clippers then there was no reason to switch. My neighbor loves her PediPaws though!