National Young Scholars Program

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cathy0517, Feb 13, 2012.

1. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with this program? It is held at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. My daughter got an invitation in the mail, she is 10. Sounds like fun but would like to get some opinions because it is expensive.

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I agree with P.

Sherry

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Agree w/ the above. Be very cautious of some of these things that are similar in nature. Great student, yada, yada. Reason I say this, is b/c my daughter has received such things. She has an IEP if that gives you an idea of her academics. I've had some colleges actually call and some programs suggesting she go. In other words, I don't think these places are looking all that carefully. Again, just my opinions so take w/ a grain of salt. I am NOT saying they are all a rip off or made up. Just saying please do the research before shelling out the money.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

cathy,

The most reputable program I found when my daughter was that young and as she got older was the Duke TIP Programs. Camps were inexpensive, kids are placed with other kids interested in what they are interested in and the Staff is spectacular.

Mine went to Marine Biology Camp at UNCW for several years. Kids that came were from all over the southeast. They had about the same grades in school so they were pretty much on the same level. My daughter is still friends with some of the participants to this day. They have visited us from Atlanta, Winston Salem, South Carolina and Tennessee.

It was well work the learning received and social skills with people younger and older and people from all over the southeast.

Check it out. I can answer most questions.

Sherry

5. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the info. I think we will look more into the Duke tip program.

6. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

My daughter was in tears because I wouldn't even consider it, due to the reasons above. This was a few years ago, and there's at least one other thread on this subject.