nc mountain ideas

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by j*j*s*mom, Oct 1, 2008.

1. j*j*s*mom

j*j*s*mom Well-Known Member

We are thinking about taking a vacation to the mountains around March/April. I am hoping someone has some ideas about a good place to stay, we are hoping to rent a cabin (not rustic but not super fancy either). We are hoping to go to the northern part of the state, looking at around Blowing Rock area???????? Don't know, we usually go to the beach and are looking for something different. We have 3 kids, who will be between the ages of 3 and 11.
    I have ordered some brochures from visitnc.com already but need some personal experience feedback. Thanks:allears:

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

PM DJMmom, they have a cabin in the NC Mountains. I've seen pictures and it's very nice.

3. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Thanks for that HG! I know we're not supposed to advertise, so I'm glad someone did it for me!

*we're not in Blowing Rock, but not far away from it either, about a 2 1/2 hour drive from here.

4. newlifetaxidermy

newlifetaxidermy Well-Known Member

Take the kids to Tweetsie Railroad....some of my fondest mountain memroies as a kid were made there.

5. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

:iagree: I second that ..... and Grandfather mountain!

6. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Tweetsie is great...but they don't open until May, according to their website.

Grandfather Mountain is awesome! We've been probably 3 or 4 times, and never get sick of it! Everytime we go to the cabin with friends and family we take them there, the kids and adults all love it! Our cabin is about 45 minutes from there, but worth the drive, especially if you like driving the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway.

7. j*j*s*mom

j*j*s*mom Well-Known Member

thanks, my hubby is from way back WV, so he is used to driving around mountains which completely scares the crap out of me with him driving. :lol: we had thought about tweetsie and grandfather mountain but will look them up to get more info

8. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Stayed here once and it was good.

http://www.fall-creek-cabins.com/

Mast general stores are really neat in Boone, and two locations it Valle Crucis. The Cone Manor just off the Parkway is also a good place to visit. They have a lot of hiking trails. In Foscoe they have a gem mining operation you can get a bucket of dirt to search for gem stones. The Daniel Boone Inn in Boone is a good place to eat family style. A lot of the places were closed this past spring in both Boone and Blowing Rock which seemed to indicate the economy had been hit by a downturn in the tourism volume.

9. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

We went in June for several days. We stayed at Best Western (it was new & nice) in Boone which not far from all the attractions that have already been mentioned. We hiked to see waterfalls at Linville Falls and toured Linville Caverns. We also went to Grandfather Mountain. It was very nice except I get terrible motion sickness. Have fun!

10. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

That early in the year the facilities at Linville Falls may not be open. You can still hike but no restrooms or water fountains.

11. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

We loved Fontana Village Resort. There's a lot to do, with it being so close to Nantahala. Husband raced in the Fontana Dam Jam (mountain bike racing) there, so you know there are a lot of good trails.
    You can stay in a cabin or at the Lodge.
    Check out the website, fontanavillage.com

12. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

We went to Grandfather Mountain last year during the Fall - perfect timing for colorful falling leaves scenic. Only drawback is I was so scared to death by going up to the top of Grandfather Mountain, especially when driving. If you're not afraid of the height, then it shouldn't be a problem for you.

If you're going to Beech Mountain this weekend (October 4 to 5), they're having a Wizard of Oz festival (Land of Oz).

13. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

I'm taking the Karate school to Carolina Zip Lines later this month with luck. It's about 2 1/2Hrs from here in the mountains. I'll let you know if it was fun.:grouphug: