NC schools write off cursive instruction

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Jan 28, 2013.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Hasn't this been going on for a while now? I hate that kids don't learn cursive anymore.

Sherry

http://www.wral.com/nc-schools-write-off-cursive-instruction/12035402/

Cursive handwriting, once a standard part of the three R's in elementary school, is no longer required to be taught in North Carolina.

The death of cursive instruction is linked to the national common core standards that North Carolina and 44 other states have adopted to standardize educational goals nationwide. The state leaves the decision on whether to teach cursive up to local school systems.

"We spend a lot more time in the computer lab, so they're learning (Microsoft) Word and word-processing as opposed to cursive handwriting," Lynn Dingwell, a third-grade teacher at Ed Baldwin Elementary School in Hope Mills, said Monday.

The only cursive to be found in Dingwell's classroom was on a how-to poster, with each stroke numbered as if teaching a dance.

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

So now, they'll be able to read neither the Constitution or Declaration of Independence if they go to the National Archives, nor any first person letters written in cursive. :banghead:

3. Sherry A.

You betcha, Hat. Why waste young minds with that stuff?

Sherry

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

OMGU2

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm not happy about it, but here's a thought..............I'll teach my son myself. Just like a whole bunch of other things public schools don't think are important.

6. Sherry A.

I think I just peed on myself...........

Sherry

7. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

OU812

8. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

At some point in life , even with techonolgy you may still have to sign a check or paper work. My son is in 6th grade, and he learned cursive at Westview in 2nd or 3rd grade.

Penmanship needs to be taught. With so much work on the computer, I have seen high school kids at church (home schooled also) that their penmanship looks like a 1st grader.

9. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I bet my parents felt the same way when the slide rule became obsolete :jester:
    I do think cursive writing should still be taught but understand there is only so much time in the school day and teachers are forced to comply with whatever the school decides. I guess it could be included as part of history lessons...

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I just posted this on Facebook too... its a shame. I was looking through my grandmothers old recipe file while I was at my dads. One of my first thoughts was that soon kids won't be able to read these great recipes without having someone "translate" them for them.

But what about a signature... that's a personal style and very individual that comes from your style of penmanship or how you learned to write cursive handwriting. I don't think that printing your name on a signature line on a document should count for a signature. To be perfectly honest, if I was going through job applications, I would think that someone who can't "sign" their name, would have a lesser education and probably end up in the circular file.

11. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

My kids are in 8th grade. My sons cursive is bad. You can read it but it's not pretty. He doesn't have a motor skills (I think it's called) problem or anything. He says he was not taught this in 2nd or 3rd grade. I guess it depended on the teacher at that time. My daughter says they went over cursive briefly but it wasn't a big thing. It's sad.

I'm going to buy some of those tracing pads for my son this summer. He not going to like it but no one will know he is practicing his cursive. Except everyone I just told on this board! :)

12. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

They still teach it at the elementary schools in Johnston Co. (at least as of last year). With reading the article one of the last sentences it says teaching it is up to the individual school districts. I think this is one Johnston Co. needs to keep

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

They did not teach cursive to my boys 10 years ago, in elementary school in JoCo, McGee's and Dixon Road specifically.

And up until they got their license last year, I have not seen one instance arise for them, where they had a need for cursive.

I taught them on my own how to sign their names in cursive. Which came in handy on license getting day. :)

I hate it. But everything is done electronically.

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I applaud you for atleast teaching your boys their signature, but how will they read a note or card written to them in cursive? Especially if its from a much older person... their cursive only gets worse with age and shakey hands.

Even electronically, I've still been asked for a signature (not a prinited name). I picked up lunch last week, and the girl handed me her Ipad, connected to their register with the credit card doo-hickey plugged into it and I had to sign on the screen with my finger, and then she printed a receipt with my signature on it for my copy of the credit card slip, and one for hers.

15. BossRotton

BossRotton Well-Known Member

deedeedee

The Dumbing down of america.......continues....

16. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

:iagree:

17. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

My son is in 4th grade at West View, and some of his language arts homework HAS TO BE done in cursive. They were taught last year. Briefly, but it was taught. But I do think it needs to be taught, for signatures the very least. I have many instances (work and personally) where I need to give an actual signature.

18. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

:iagree:

And this from the article: "We spend a lot more time in the computer lab, so they're learning (Microsoft) Word and word-processing as opposed to cursive handwriting,"

It's amazing isn't it that all of us learned to do BOTH somehow?! Such a shame that they can't possibly teach the kids to do both anymore... :banghead:

19. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Remember when you used to have to do Book reports? My daughter (5th grade) has told me of only 2 books she has had to report on. When I was in 5th grade, we had already written (cursive in 4th grade, typed on a typewriter or apple computer in 5th) at least 7 reports. Also, we did history lessons about the Civil War, Revolutionary War, expansion of America (Louisiana Purchase, Lewis and Clark, the Alamo), etc. My daughter asked me what the Alamo was when it was mentioned in a TV show. I was appalled. I felt like :withstupid: because she hasn't learned even briefly what any of this stuff is. Granted, we weren't professors after our teaching, but we at least touched the basics.

So, I take it upon myself to teach her anything and everything I can. Whether it be from TV, Movies, Video games (WWII games are a favorite of mine), books, life lessons...
    And because of this, I've seen significant improvement. She actually used her head when I asked her why the wipers on the vehicles were sticking up prior to the ice storm last weekend. She gave the correct answer, I gave her a high five!

I don't think we can rely on schools to teach the kids everything, but they should at least cover the things needed. the 3 R's, Science, History, and ARTS. And not just painting, singing, music....but woodworking, metal working, Home Ec. I don't know what McGee's teaches, but I had fun in my "electives" in middle school. I hope my kids do too!

20. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

you said "doo-hickey". :mrgreen:

I have no answer for you as far as them reading it. I mean, they get cards from their grandparents who write cursive....they have been able to read it so far. I can't think of any other time they would get a hand-written anything....
    it's a lost art. Again, I hate it.