NC under state of emergency - Flash Flood Watches till Sunday

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Smithfield, NC – With more heavy rains expected to fall later this week on already saturated ground, Johnston County residents are urged to stay safe should flooding occur.

Johnston County Emergency Services is monitoring weather conditions and will respond as necessary to any flooding situations that may occur. Motorists are urged to be alert for the possibility of standing water on roads. Be aware that it only takes a few moments for your vehicle to be swept away by flooding. If you come across a flooded section of road, turn around. Do not attempt to drive through flooded roads; it’s not worth the risk.

Safety tips during flooding situations include:

* Never attempt to drive through flooded roads.

* Even if a road covered by water seems shallow enough to cross, do not attempt to cross it.

* Seek higher ground if your vehicle stalls in a flooded area; do not attempt to push your vehicle out of the water.

* Parents, keep children and themselves away from flood waters, ditches and storm drains

* Too often, children playing in flood waters are swept away by fast-moving currents, sometimes with tragic results.

* Flood waters also may contain sewer overflows or harmful chemicals, so it’s particularly important to stay out of flood waters.

Sherry A. likes this.
  2. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Update: "Worst flooding likely to be centered on the Carolinas and Virginia this weekend."

Predictions of 10-12 inches of rain are being made for a good part of NC, including Johnston County. A flash flood watch is in effect tonight through thru Sunday night, and the Gov has declared a state of emergency, as has Virginia. Please take this seriously and be prepared and safe! :cool:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-rain-deluge-flash-flooding-atlantic/52672710

Bucky likes this.
  3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

When I lived in Florida I was driving through the parking lot of a shopping center heading towards a Dunkin Donuts and I went through a 'Puddle" it stalled out my car and I ended up having to replace the engine. The water was a lot deeper than I had thought.

Hught likes this.
  4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

darn brother. I wouldn't have told that. 2000$ stalled in the water going for a donut.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

But it is a great reminder to everyone not to risk it!

Thanks Rocky!

keemom and Rockyv58 like this.