Need GPS help

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kdog, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Wife needs a GPS. I have 0% knowledge on these GPS's. Any thoughts on what to get? She wants wide screen, voice command and alternate route features and I want low cost. Thanks

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

If she wants it to actually say street names, and not just "turn left, 500 feet" you will want to look for one that does "Text to Speech". I have a Garmin Nuvi that i've had for 2 years and I love it. They've come down in price and you should be able to find something reasonably priced. My mom, sister & inlaws all have TomTom Ones which are very user friendly.

I would highly recommend either brand.

3. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 265W and love it. It has the text to speech feature where it says the street names which is really important to me. I've used it while traveling out of state and never had a problem with being directed incorrectly.

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Garmin Nuvi here too, love it

5. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

I have Tom Tom, love it, Had a Magellin before this, also good but Tom Toms much better.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Don't discount some of the other names. We have 2 "Mios" and love them. MUCH less expensive than Garmin and Tom Tom, yet does the same thing. In fact, DH hacked the older one and it now does text to speech as well. I think it was less than $150 3 years ago. He's still got to do the one he got me for Mother's Day, but it's a widescreen with all the bells and whistles of the other brands and it didn't cost near what the other brands do. But we are about function, not brand names at this house. 8)

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Garmin Nuvi 205...not text to speech, but gives excellent directions and adequate notice of turns, etc.

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Not all GPS systems are created equally. If you believe that then do some serious reasearch about the actual chipsets used in the various makes and models and you will find that not all GPS systems are created equal, even among the same brand name.

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I use a map.

- You can say the street names yourself if you want that effect (If you're good at impressions you can even get the 'celebrity voice-over' function).

- If you want widescreen you can unfold it a little bit more.

- They are reasonably priced (free) at any rest stop.

- No wires. No charging. No suction cups.

- No one breaks your window to steal a map.

- Virginia SHP will not mistake a map for a radar detector.

- Everyone knows what a map is and you will not have to explain if you have a Noovi, a Mee-O, or a Tum-Tum

All kidding aside, you may want to consider a smart phone because GPS units days are numbered.

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

From the reviews I've read the gps functions on the current smart phones just aren't up to par with the current batch of gps receivers, and while some of the gps apps are neat with street level views (driod) there aren't that many people who actually need that option, other than to have it as a toy to show off.

11. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

lol I was going to say the same thing. I have a map of Johnston County I got from the GCCC and it was free. :) Map of NC, got from I dunno DMV or NC Visitors Center off 95 - and it was free.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Um, DH being the electronics geek that he is, did all the research prior to our purchases. They suit our needs. YMMV. 8) Just throwing other options out there for those who may be looking to save a $.

13. jcongdon1

jcongdon1 Active Member

Garmin Nuvi 255W.....Tom Tom is good if you are in the UK.

14. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Second Garmin. Our Realtor had Tom Tom and after using our Garmin to look at homes when we bought they switched to Garmin. Costco has some really fabulous deals on line, not always in the same deals in the store though.

15. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

I still use a map too.

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ok, my phone GPS totally freaked me out. i use it a lot cause DH uses the Garmin due to his job and it always says checking for traffic every 3 minutes or so and it tells me if there is a wreck or anything going on on the path i am on. Well i decided to test it the other day, it said there was an injury accident one half mile in front of me and asked if i wanted a detour route and i said no cause i could not understand how the heck it knew there was an accident and be danged if there wasn't an accident with the fire department and EMS and i got stuck in traffic for 45 minutes - totally unbelievable but i love my phone i guess.

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

We have the same phone, do you pay extra for the GPS use on it? I've never tried it.

18. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

nope it is included in the all data plan along with being able to call anyone with a cellphone free.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

This week is the first time in over a month that I used my Garmen (working in Canada and did not get service through my Droid) because the Droid and Google Maps is so much better. AI live and die by GPS.

20. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Garmin Nuvi - tells me where to turn.

LOVE IT!!!!!

Bought the package to upload the maps for $120 for the lifetime of the device. AWESOME!