Need Suggestions for a Going Away Party

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Southernborn, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

We have a dear friend who is leaving for Iraq in a couple of weeks and we are wanting to throw him a bash before he goes. I need suggestions....

I've thought about a Limo or a DJ....

I got a quote for a limo for $450
    DJ...$300

2. Clif

Clif Guest

Thee Dollhouse?

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Clif, i really don't think it is appropriate to post that type of place on this side of the fence :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Southernborn

I don't think his wife or the rest of us ladies in attendance want to go to the doll house :shock:

5. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

well instead of a dj you could always rent a jukebox, and have his favorites put on it.. plus its only $150...

6. Clif

Clif Guest

I would agree with you, had I put a link to Thee Dollhouse site.

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

It was a joke Clif :lol:

8. Clif

Clif Guest

Yeah, I got it.

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Lots of good AMERICAN food and close friends and family. :wink:

Oh, how about the Longbranch???

10. ncroxx

ncroxx Well-Known Member

11. racecitync

racecitync Well-Known Member

why don't we all donate to his Limo/DJ fund?

wonder if MrDj is available lol!

12. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

You can't fit many people in a Limo - a good old back yard pig picken with lots of friends might be fun. Who knows when he'll get to see everyone next. It could be a "Pack a Care Package" party where everyone brings stuff to pack into a large box to be shipped over to your friend & the other soldiers he'll be working with in the coming months. Take lots of pictures & make him a photo album. In his car package included an adress book with phone #'s, email adresses and some phone cards. Lots of sites have care package ideas:
    http://www.adoptaplatoon.org/new/pdf/care.pdf
    It might also be fun to give him a digital camera if he doesn't have one already so he can send pictures back & forth to loved ones .. or a tape recorder so he can send tapes .. or a video camera ... just something so folks at home can see him & he can see them. I've know guys who went over who got to communicate regularly with their family via the internet - so maybe friends could take up funds for a laptop & internet camera if that is something he'd be able to use where he's going. Everyone needs a pillow & blanket. Maybe your friends could make one of those memory quilts where you give everyone a 12 inch square and give them a week or 2 to either stencil or paint a picture on the square. Or they can print a favorite picture out on the iron-on computer transfer paper. He will then have something meaningful to wrap up in at night when he's far, far away from home that will help him remember all the folks who are waiting for him to come back home. I don't know how much of the stuff he could take with him when he goes - some of it might be stuff you'd have to send later. Maybe everyone attending the party could pick a month to send a care package so he doesn't get everything at once. Then the fun might stretch out longer ...

13. Southernborn

Melynda,

The photo album thing is a great idea. I've already got tons of photos from a party a month ago and take a bunch on that night and send it to him!

I think right now we've decided (tentatively) for the SUV Limo (fits 16) and off to dinner at my dh good friends restaurant in Raleigh...then probably back to my house (or the Draft house) for some partying....

I talked to his wife last night and got a couple of dates nailed down...so now it's up to my dh and his other buddy to decide what to do next...

14. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

:shock: :lol:

15. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

Melynda, those are all great ideas! :)