Need suggestions on a car lot to check out

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Two cars died in a six month time frame. I'm due for a newer (used) one.

Way too many car lots in the area, hoping to narrow it down to a couple of decent ones.

In case you need more details, I'm looking for a car around $5K, automatic, preferably an SUV (three seat rows ideal), looking to pay cash not finance (obviously).

Any suggestions? I know Matthew Motors is out of the question. I just absolutely HATE buying cars so I'm trying to make this as painless as possible.

Thanks!

:banghead:

2. mom23

mom23 Active Member

Since you have cash, I would stay FAR FAR away from car lots. You can get a much better deal buying from an individual.

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

We found our 'Beast' the 97 Expedition on Craig's List. As long as you do your due diligence, check the carfax, a thorough inspection especially by an independent mechanic..good to go. Saved a lot of money and headache.

Beast is still on the road, four years later. Replaced the battery and tires in the last year. While it's not as good on gas, obviously, as the Saturn, there are times when 4WD, capacity, and towing are much appreciated.

4. ferrickhead28

Thanks so much! I toyed around with craigslist, just makes me nervous. I'll keep looking though. :)

Thanks!

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

We have purchased 2 vehicles from G & R Motor Company at the corner of 42/50 and will be looking to purchase a truck from them in the near future. They are GREAT guys who treat you right. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a nice used car or truck.

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Sold a bunch of furniture & my maxima on CL, it was gone out of the driveway in 4 hours! LOL
    Bought DH a 77 Chevy AND my 02 4Runner off CL!

Love CL!!!

Try it out!

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I haven't bought any cars off CL, but have definitely sold them. ATV's, household stuff, furniture, antiques, you name it, we've bought and sold it. Love CL. Just take reasonable precautions, don't give out your personal information and if it sounds too good to be true.......IT IS!!!!

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Can't say that I have have ever really perused my list, but hey might give it a shot.

:jester:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  9. RealityWorkouts

RealityWorkouts Well-Known Member

I 2nd G&R Motor Company.

Bought my wife a 2003 Accura there in October. We are very happy with it.

Steve Hill and Mike Bierman are great guys. Tell them I recommended them.

And, cash talks. I paid cash, and was able to negotiate a significant amount off sticker.

10. 42Local

42Local Well-Known Member

Do you guys know if G&R is good for buying cars? I want to sell my car, but would prefer not to go the Craigslist route. And I don't need it as a trade in. I got a Carmax quote and would be happy with something a little higher. Thanks!

11. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if they do or not. We've always traded our old cars in.

12. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

AUCTIONDIRECT.COM
    They are up on Glenwood, they gave me $3k more than carmax for the 08F150 we had.

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

I totally agree with G&R, Steve is a great guy and will definitely take the pain out of buying a used car

14. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Hollingsworth Auto in Raleigh used to run commercials saying they would beat a carmax quote to buy your car. Also, for the OP, they have 2 minivans with third row seating in their inventory in your price range. I would bet they would discount heavily for cash and their cars have a 90-day warranty.

http://www.hollingsworthauto.biz/2003_Mazda_MPV_RALEIGH_NC_176330182.veh

http://www.hollingsworthauto.biz/2003_Mazda_MPV_RALEIGH_NC_171195994.veh

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  15. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

VINs for each are in those pix. Carfax them.

16. dietz4ibanez

dietz4ibanez Well-Known Member

www.knoxautosalesinc.com

They have 2 locations on Capitol Blvd.

910 Capital Blvd - Talk to Jeff Knox

2901 Capital Blvd - Talk to Christian Knox

Tell them Brian Dietz sent you!

17. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

The carfax is on the page. Just click the icon and you can read them. The first one is a one owner NC car and has a great history. The second one is from NY and was in two accidents there and then none in NC with the second owner...LOL! Must not know how to drive up there.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  18. ferrickhead28

Wow, thanks so much everyone!!!

I passed on your recommendations as well to two other friends who are also looking.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything! :)