Need Vista Home Premium DVD . . .

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by wed2x, Aug 21, 2012.

1. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

I am looking for a Vista Home Premium DVD 32 bit.
    I would like to reinstall the OS to the above specs and don't have the original DVD or any restore CDs. The manufacturer (HP) no longer has the reinstall CD.
    I plan to use the key code that is located on the PC.

Thanks if you can help.

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Actually you do. Each version of an OEM installed OS comes with a bank of acceptable license codes. Chances of you getting the same code set you are licensed for is slim and none. Take a leap and go Windows 7.

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

All HP's have a recovery partition with your OS & drivers on it ,,,,,, "unless" ,,,, someone has deleted the files on it.

If you can log on to windows:

>Click Start and enter Recovery in the search field. Select Recovery Manager from the list when it becomes available. Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.

>Click Start , All Programs , Recovery Manager , and then Recovery Manager. Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.

>Click Advanced options , System recovery , and then click Next . The PC will restart and reopen the recovery manager. Alternately, if Advanced options is disabled, click Next , and then System Recovery . The PC will restart.

>When the PC restarts, select the System recovery option and click Next .

>If prompted to use the Microsoft System Restore program, click No , and then click Next .

>When prompted, select the Back up your files first (recommended if you want to save anything) option, and then click Next . Follow the on-screen instructions.

>When prompted to Recover without backing up your files , please read this before proceeding.

WARNING: This is the final opportunity to change your mind about recovering the PC and deleting all the files and programs. Once you click Next , the restore process cannot be stopped

>If you are satisfied that you want to begin the recover process, click Next . The PC immediately begins formatting the hard drive and destroying all data.

If you can't log on to windows:

> Turn the PC on and when you see the boot screen start tapping the 'F11' key slowly about 4 times.

> This will put you into the recovery process. Do not do a repair, do a reinstall.

If neither of those work:

Post the model number on here. I have a good collection of older model HP recovery disks that are no longer available.

5. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

If neither of those work:

Post the model number on here. I have a good collection of older model HP recovery disks that are no longer available.[/QUOTE]

Yep, my mom does PC repair and none of these worked. She says she needs the disk. It is a Presario V6000. Let me know if you need any other info.

6. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I need more info. You said in your OP that it was an HP. HP doesn't make Presario, Compaq does.

So which is it, an HP or a Compaq?

7. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

Its a Compaq Presario. I was pretty sure Compaq and HP were now one in the same.

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

9. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

My mom has been in contact with manufacturer and there is no recovery disk for that particular model. I checked the website anyway and its not listed as available. Hopefully Dan has another solution. :-(

10. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I beg to differ. I went through all the way to where I put in my credit card info and it's available and ready to go.

[​IMG]

11. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

This is Vista Home Premium as noted in original title of thread

12. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Are you sure the laptop isn't a V6000T or V6000Z? (look on the bottom/back where the serial number is for the full model number).

13. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

I am positive. Its V6000

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Well, good luck.

15. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I don't have the V6000 series CD's. I think I have a hard drive out of a 6000 series though? I'll check it today to see if the recovery partition is still on it and if it's a Vista model.

And, Cliff is correct.

If that's the "complete" model # (V6000) off the "white" UPC label on the bottom of the laptop, than it doesn't exist in the HP/Compaq database.

The model # extensions in the Compaq Presario 6000 series laptops will be: 'T', 'Z', 'NR', 'US', or 'CA'. A "V6000" does not exist ..... unless ...... it was a special order laptop using the available hardware options from that series. If it is, go re-buy Vista.

Or, you're getting the impression it came with Vista because someone upgraded an XP model to Vista and put the new COA label on the bottom of the laptop.

Hp offered customer installed "Upgrade" options to Vista on that series. Check the COA label for the Vista OS and make sure it doesn't say "Upgrade". If it does, the Vista serial # will do you no good with any disk other than an HP Upgrade disk.

Look again for the model # UPC label, and don't use the model # at the top. Get the one at the bottom of the label.

Here's the list of models in that 6000 series that offered Vista Prem as the 'original' OS:
    V6000T
    V6000Z
    V6205NR
    V6210US
    V6305NR
    V6310US
    V6402CA
    V6405CA
    V6410CA
    V6415CA
    V6420US

PS: You're going to pay hell finding the correct drivers off the web. Go to Ebay for the driver CD ($5).

16. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Sorry, it was a 6000 series hard drive, but not Vista, was XP.

17. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your help. My mom took it back to Florida to try other stuff. She had put on temp Vista Ultimate or something like that. She is possibly going to try converting to Windows 7 as her research has shown that it should support it. Its just an extra laptop I had that I wanted my kids to be able to use. Hp's solution was to buy a new computer. The laptop was working great when she left here with it, not sure why a new one would be necessary...