New Cleveland Vol Fire Dept Station on 1010???

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kelyel, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Am I the first person to notice the BIG SIGN on 1010 (Cleveland Road) between 42 & 50 showing the location of a NEW CVFD?

What's the scoop?

Is this Station #2? or What?

I'm sure some one on here know the scoop.

2. littleman

littleman Well-Known Member

I have seen the sign as well.... I don't know how long it will be before they are up and running... looks like it will be a while...

3. smoketamer

smoketamer Member

CVFD Sign

Yes this will be a second station to better serve the community. Maybe get started early spring on building. Looking for volunteer firefighters in that area.

4. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the INFO!

Good Luck with the building process and all.

5. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

I wanna be a volunteer firefighter. What does one have to have to qualify?

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I thought you had back issues :confused:

7. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

I had a fusion. Fixed. Done. Back to work. well, school for me. I wanna be an RN. Next question.

Now, back to what it takes to be a vol. firefighter. What kind of training etc?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  8. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, doesn't it take similar training as does a paid firefighter?

I can tell ya, the training isn't easy!

9. smoketamer

smoketamer Member

For more information on becoming a volunteer, please come by the fire station located by DR Well's store and speak to one of the paid firefighters mon - fri. They should be able to answer any of your questions, but to give you a few things:
    You will need to be a certified medical responder for NC, You will have to become certified as a Hazardous Materials Responder, Meetings are every monday night from 7pm to 10pm depending on the topic of training for the night, and you will encourged (spl) to attain your Firefighter Level I&II. Must be willing to get up and respond at any hour of the day and night when available and not mind doing hard work. Just to name a few things. There are numerous more which all add up to a very large amout of commitment to say the least. So if that hasn't run you off and you can pass a physical you should come on by and pick up an application or you can call 989-1909.

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i also assume they do a full background check and drug testing if it is anything like when i was an EMT in VA. Isn't an EMT required before becoming a firefighter? Maybe i am wrong, i just remember several guys who were aspiring to be firefighters in my EMT classes.

11. smoketamer

smoketamer Member

You can be be a volunteer firefighter without EMT. We require all new members to be medical responder or higher now. Not too sure on the drug testing thing, we don't drug test, but we do have a background and driving history check done. The state has a couple hoops you have to jump to attain certification. Now on the career side of the fire service most larger places (Ral., Cary, Morrisville) require you become a EMT, some smaller departments only require you to become medical responder. Hope this helps a little.