new diet

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CraigSPL, Nov 10, 2010.

1. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Interesting. It really seems to define what works best. Small quantities of calorie-controlled food spread throughout the day can accomplish weight loss. I would think that this works best because your body is able to more effectively metabolize smaller amounts of food. Cut calories, burn more energy and lose weight. Of course, I don't think the junk food diet would be healthy for the long haul.

3. CraigSPL

Things like that are what shocked me more about the article than the weight loss.

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Stored fat, I guess, would be more unhealthy than even the crappiest of junk food if the findings were found to be accurate in other people, as well. Yeah, those cholesterol numbers surprised me, too. I wonder how this "diet" would affect other study volunteers. If similar results were found,we would find that its not what you eat as much as it is how much you consume at a time. If so, then a twinkie every three hours is better than a buffet belly buster!

I've heard of celebrities doing this before. Dolly Parton once said that was how she kept here weight off. She ate about every three hours instead of a larger breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks sprinkled in here and there.

5. CraigSPL

Back when I was in the USAF I have a buddy who was on the air force power lifting team and that is how he ate. Had some kind of food every 3-4 hours but wouldn't a ton of food at a time.

6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Well, I guess I will give this diet a try. :? Just got my bloodwork numbers in the mail (Why do they do that?) and need to lower them a bunch! For the health professionals out there...is diet and exercise good enough to lower cholesterol? Is there a magic number that necessitates meds? My numbers are much higher than last year's across the board. Anyone else have this issue? Did you take meds? TIA

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Cholesterol issues are both diet and familial based.

8. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

In my case, regular exercise significantly lowered my bad cholesterol levels, so I'd say, yes, it's a good start. Like Hatt6 said though, it can be genetic.

9. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thanks Hat and Hides! I especially appreciate the positive feedback regarding exercise, HidesinOBX. I have been working on increasing my exercise over the last month, which is why I was shocked that it was pushing 300, but I guess I need to really ramp it up. I am going to cut out bad carbs too and try to lose some weight. The good news is that I had a good hdl...must be the red wine?!:mrgreen:

10. RealityWorkouts

RealityWorkouts Well-Known Member

Diet and exercise definitely influence cholesterol.

The key is exercise must be of sufficient intensity and duration to cause a significant shift. EZ walking cardio will cause little change, the same for heavy "powerlifting" type training, where you do heavy weight, low reps, with a lot of resting between sets.

My clients do a mix of functional strength training moves, combined with cardio at an appropriate level for their current condition. The intensity level on both increases as they train consistently.

All my clients that have begun training with me with cholesterol issues reported significantly lower levels within 3-6 months.

11. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thanks for the exercise tips, Reality. I do walk mostly. I was thinking about joining a bootcamp at Healthquest to get a jump start. Hope it doesn't kill me!:jester: