New HVAC ???

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by hhicshg, May 12, 2011.

1. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

Not new hvac but new ??
    I have an Amana system and the thermostat is a Honeywell t8411r. I have been prowling the internet for awhile trying to find some tech support or at least q's & a's. Not getting very far other than to find I am not the only one with this problem. The thermostat does not have a battery backup. It is all hard wired. I left home a couple days ago and it was working just fine. Later that evening, DS remarked it was really getting warm. We looked at the thermostat and there was no digital read out and it did not respond when we changed temp., etc.
    Online, I found the manual but there is no tech support nor is there a q & a section. I did some googling and did find others with the same problem. This could either be the thermostat or if the drain pipe is backed up it would detect liquid and automatically shut down. I do know where a drain pipe is but have no way of telling if it is backed up. Could there be another one? I have no problem with calling someone who does HVAC but I don't want anyone to try to hoodwink me.
    Any ideas or suggestions? I did look at previous posts and have names and numbers so I am just seeking some ideas or opinions.
    TIA

2. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

First of all, do you have a split system or a package unit? Meaning is there a unit outside and a unit in your crawl space/attic or just one big unit outside? If you have a split system, where is your air handler located? Chances are if it is in the crawl space, both drain lines are piped to the exterior of the home and there is no float switch to shut the unit off since there is no drain pan. If your air handler, assuming you have one, is in the attic, then you could check the drain pan under the unit to see if it is holding water. If so, there is a problem with the drain lines, or some other issue.

Report back and I will see if I can help.

3. hhicshg

It is all one unit and sits outside. My older DS suggested that a line may be clogged and to try to blow all that gunk out using an air compressor. I think I will wind up calling someone who knows what they are doing to come out and do all this.

4. hhicshg

Thank you for your suggestions.

5. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

If you need someone to come out, I recommend CozyBearAC.com

6. hhicshg

Thank you very much..

7. hhicshg

I learned a good lesson yesterday.
    HVAC man came out. I told him all the research I had done. He very nicely asked me to give him just a minute and went around the corner of the house. It turns out that---On an outside unit there may be a circuit breaker. Due to the thunderstorms which caused all the power surges last week, the circuit breaker outside flipped. He flipped it back, there was a short pause, and whoopee!! We had AC again. I am so thankful it was that easy and that it was not 106 outside when this happened.
    :hurray::hurray::hurray: