New procedure for using your debit card as credit @ gas pump

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Feb 1, 2011.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Starting today if you use your debit card as credit at the gas pumps your bank will put a $26 hold on your account until the gas company settles up their end. It used to be only $1 so if you had at least $1 in your account you knew you were good for a full tank for a day or so. :boxing:

2. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

yeah...but the alternative of people skimming your info if you do it as debit is much worse. i choose credit as a default now b/c of that.

3. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Michelle, where did this information come from? Is it all banks?

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I've always used mine as a debit since the ONE cc I have I don't use, it's just for emergencies.

5. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

yeah, i'm talking about using your debit card as credit...if it's a visa debit, that is.

6. michelle

To my knowledge it is all banks. I bank with the SECU and it's on their main page.

7. harleygirl

I must be slow, why would anyone use their debit card as a credit card??? :oops:

8. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

some places didn't used to take debit cards or certain ones...but would take visa. you don't have to enter your pin (good for forgettful people!). and to avoid skimmers at gas pumps. ;)

9. harleygirl

Oh ok!
    Thanks bunches

10. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

For those who are having a hard time understanding...a debit card can be used as debit or credit. The only difference is that debit goes through immediately and credit takes a few days. When you use it as credit the bank puts a temporary $1 charge until the real amount clears in a few days. What Michelle is saying is that the banks have upped the $1 to $26. If you don't actually get $26 in gas then your account will be credited thhe difference. The problem comes in when you don't have $26 in your account, you can't get gas even if you only want $10 in gas because is automatically charges the $26.

11. michelle

I thought you could get the $10 in gas if you used the card as debit?

12. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

AS of right now, I have only heard of SECU doing this new thing. I am sure it's going to be universal before much longer.

This prevents people from charging gas and then 2-3 days later, when the transaction finally hits your account, there not being any monies, and the transaction will "bounces".

Using your debit card as DEBIT means it deducts immediately. using your debit card as CREDIT means it can take a day or two to clear your account.

I personally use(d) my debit card as a credit when getting gas (only). Not only does it cut out one step (putting in my PIN) but it also is more secure after I drive off.

13. KellBell

If you have $10 in your account and you use your debit card as a debit transaction, you can get $10 worth of gas.

This (auto $26) only applies when you use your debit card and you choose the CREDIT key to pay.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I use BBandT and have had no such notification.....................just as an FYI.

15. KellBell

I said eventually sister. LOL. It's been on the SECU website for about a month. with a start date of Feb. 1st. Honestly, I am surprised they haven't done it before now. People getting gas and not having monies in there to pay when the transaction clears. Just like a worthless check. At least with the debit cards, they know soon as you put money in, they get theirs.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I was just backing you up that it isn't all banks yet, sorry if that wasn't clear. :jester:

17. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

As Kell has replied, you can if you use debit and have that money. People are charging more than they actually have in their account by using the credit. They get the gas, but don't have the money to cover it a few days later. That's why the $1 was good for those people...they could get $50 in gas with only $1 in their account. Not anymore.

18. KellBell

just messin' with you. :p

seriously though, I am sure it's on the way to all banks. It's just a matter of time.

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I am sure. Can't really blame them if many folks are floating their charges like that and losing out.

20. Crysta

Crysta Guest

For the extra layer of protection. You can do a charge-back on the credit card, much easier than a debit. Plus you can often get some of the other Visa/Mastercard perks by choosing credit, such as insurance on merchandise and travel. Depends on your card and your usage. Also, some people prefer to not have to worry about inputting every little purchase into their registry.