New workday/instructional info -JoCo

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hatteras6, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Mon Jan 24 is now a teacher workday, so no students. The workday was supposed to have been the 21st. The 21st is now an instructional day, with students attending.
    This will allow HS students to finish exams. The end of semester will be the 24th.

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

So much for some workdays being "protected".

3. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

They're protected from being used for staff development, but not protected from being switched to a different day. The only rules are that there have to be so many a year. When they actually occur is pretty irrelevant to the county. There should be some fine print on the calendar!

4. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I really don't care whrn the days are made up==but why do they list make up days on the calendar if they don't stick to it. It seems like every year they change from the listed dates. I am all for doing what is best for the students--but they should not list them if they are not going to use them!

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

The make up days are the same as listed on the calendar, Jan. 20 and Feb. 21. The change is to go to school on Jan. 21 and move the workday to Jan. 24, as opposed to having the workday on the 21st and the school day on the 24th.

6. arkpals2u

arkpals2u Well-Known Member

Completely confused now since the revised schedule sent home and posted on Cleveland High's website has the 21st marked as a workday. Exams will finish Friday (14th) with remediation and retesting on the 18, 19, and 20th according to the "revised" posted schedule. Hope they clarify soon!

7. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

The changes were announced at the board meeting yesterday. Your school may have made their changes before this meeting. I am sure they will clarify today.
    Here's a link to the county page with the calendar clarification. I just hope we are done with this weather. The next three make up days are Spring break. :neutral:

http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/educa...ctiondetailid=112506&viewType=detail&id=15040

Isn't it about time to repeal the Save Our Summers law so school can go back to a schedule that ends the semester before Christmas break? If the state cared about what is best for the students (and pass rates), the schedule would not have exams carry into January when the potential for bad weather is higher and students have just had a two week break. JMO, but it seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011
  8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. Mine will have to miss the beginning of the 21st. They have eye appointments that I've juggled three times because of the school schedule. I was doing my best to help them not to miss school. My eldest already is doing homework til 9 nearly every night. If he misses math class he'll probably be up till midnight catching up. Algebra is hard enough as it is. ... I know... it's too early in the morning to be whining. :p Don't call the whaaaambulance on me!

9. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I was trying to follow this thread, but was lost, so this is what I found on the district website, for those like me who get confused easily! So basically, the kids will be going to school next Thursday and Friday, but not the following Monday.

Traditional Calendar Schools:

Students will be in school on Jan. 20, 21, and Feb. 21. They will not be in school on Jan. 24. This change occurred to assist high school students with exams, state testing and remediation. Jan. 24th has now become a protected teacher workday and was swapped with Jan. 21st , which is now a regular student day. Feb. 21 is now the make up day for Jan. 11.