Newspapers??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by annatinnie, Apr 22, 2010.

1. annatinnie

annatinnie Well-Known Member

Anyone have any ideas where I might find a LOT of newspapers? My son wants to do his own "no dig" garden project and in order to do so, we need a LOT of black and white (no glossies) newspapers. He's only nine, so asking him to dig and till, etc is not on my list of things to do, but I do feel that this is a very "kid friendly" way to approach it otherwise.

Is there anywhere in the area that I could get them? Any good ideas??

Thanks!

2. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

You might call the N&O: yesterday's newspaper has to go somewhere. I think they might sell blank newsprint, the leftovers and scrap from the printing process.

I wonder also if you can sweet talk the guys at the recycling centers into letting you dumpster dive- after all, it's for a good cause.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

You might try going to The Herald offices since you're in Smithfield. They no longer have their printing press, BUT they'll have a lot of returns that they'll probably give you. I'd ask though before digging in their recycle bins. Also, when the presses begin rolling, it usually takes a few hundred copies to get everything going and those bundles get thrown into the recycle heap, too. Another idea...try the libraries. They get a lot of newspapers. The free weekly publications also have returns.

Speaking of the scrap rolls, newspaper printing presses never run the end paper off the rolls and the blank "scrap" rolls are great for art projects like finger painting and such. If your child has an easel, they are perfect for that.

4. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

So did you do sheetfed or web

5. mimi2

mimi2 Active Member

sent you a PM

6. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

Prior to the printing company my husband worked for closed it's doors, I remember one day while visiting him, someone came in for the end rolls. If I remember correctly, I think he said they sold them for a small fee to people.

Good luck with the garden, it'll be fun for him - I did a flower bed along the same concept year's ago when I lived in another state. Extremely easy - only hole I had to dig was for the plant. Not sure what type of soil you have here but if it's anything like mine, you may need to add something to amend it.

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Give your local school a call. Many teachers get class sets through NIE and recycle them after use. I'm sure they would be glad to give them to you.