Nosestud as an religious symbol

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 10, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

As long as all other jewelry (rings, necklaces, rosaries, etcetera) are also banned I really don't have an issue.

Would I ever hire her? Probably not.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I read this link, read up on the religion, checked out their facebook page, read another article where a Costco employee lost a lawsuit citing membership to this church when asked by her employer to remove or cover her eyebrow piercing while on the clock. One of their practices is skin removal by scalpel... Wow. Also, you know those freak shows you see on the Discovery Channel with the guy who thinks he is a lizard and the folks who suspend themselves with hooks? Yup, card-carrying members.

I have no problem with colored hair, mohawks, facial piercings at school - I had two of the three listed when I was in school and still wear a nosestud some days (it's in right now) - and I think those rules are silly. I *am* curious as to the spirituality a teenager can feel having a nosestud, or if it is the attention that makes her feel better. I also wonder how long it will take for every other kid in JoCo (or NC) to join this church so that they can wear their facial piercings to school, should she win this discrimination suit. All they have to do is apply by email and they can be a member or a minister.

http://uscobm.com/

http://www.workforce.com/section/hr-management/article/costcos-appearance-crusade.html

http://www.facebook.com/churchofbodmod

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Just another example of those with main stream beliefs trying to define what is appropriate or not. While I do not subscribe to their POV, under the 1st amendment, this is their right to practice.

I need not understand, nor seek to validate their beliefs, as this isn't my business, nor anyone else's. It appears that the principal involved has decided that their beliefs do not fall under his approved list of religious beliefs. But then again, I would hazard a guess that unless it's a Baptist, Methodist, or other Christian belief that falls within a narrow purview of preferred religions, he wasn't going to approve it.

Net result. An employee of the JoCo School board, having received the responsiblity because Central Office punted the issue back to him, has just given the student and her parents that ammunition to bring about a lawsuit.

Groups that seek to protect one's exercise of the Bill of Rights will engage
    to represent the family and the school board will spend money it could better use in the classrooms to defend the indefensible.

Rather than allow this to die a quiet death by approving the exception to policy, the decision to raise the stakes will once again subject the county to claims that unless one is part of the main stream, one's need and wants are tertiary, at best.

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

That's the way I see it too. Just another individual (or group of individuals) out to have the rules bent just for them. A Christian, student or not, is charged by Christ to spread the Gospel unto the world. Would this allow them to propagate the Word of God in between classes or at lunch since its their religious belief?

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I agree, that why they should disallow the displaying of the crucifix also.

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Before anyone disputes the reasons "for or against" you should investigate the school rules, who makes them, and the reasoning they use in making the list. Also look into how they are codified into ยง code. An integral process that does not allow ambiguity or favor and has confounded lame NC rule committees for quite some time.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I thought this was one of those big plugs through her septum. I finally saw a picture of this little piece of nose jewelery and am wondering what the big deal is?

P.S. As a kid I used to freak people out by holding my head underwater in the pool and exhaling through my eyes. Have you freaked your kids out doing the same while holding your nose with the stud out?

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with a small nosestud as jewelry. I wouldn't personally have a problem with any sort of jewelry that isn't overwhelmingly gaudy. A small nosestud wouldn't bother me any no more than pierced ears.

10. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

As predicted...ACLU involved, more to come

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rel_piercing_church

So, Clayton High makes the web news, probably for reasons other than what the Board of Education would like.

Wouldn't it have made sense to achieve some accommodation rather than this? 1st salvo in what will only be an expensive loss for the schools.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I agree. What's that saying tossed around here all the time? Freedom for me but none for thee? I personally think this is nothing but an attention grab, the rules are for everyone ELSE! Religious symbol.....................yeah...........OK!!

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I found this interesting

13. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing something here, but seems to me the "church's" doctrines pertain to modification and piercing, but doesn't necessarily include the wearing of jewelry in said modifications and piercings. Seems like the school board's problem is with the jewelry.

I don't see her religeous rights being violated; no one is objecting to the holes, just the jewelry. :neutral:

14. cmdknw06

cmdknw06 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the modification goes deeper. I suggest a documentary called Modify. I think it's crazy to ban the small nose stud, especially sine when I was at CHS 10 years ago it was common place to have tattoo's, tongue piercings, and other piercings.

K

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

From what I was reading yesterday, the "religion" doesn't require them to wear it all times, there shouldn't be any reason she can't take it out before school and put in back in after. But I guess that would be too logical when you want to make a national spectacle of yourself.

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between allowing one to display their religious beliefs on their own body versus an institution of the state (the school) displaying the ten commandments. In the latter, you have the institution essentially forcing one religion upon everyone amounting to the state sanction of a religion. In the former, you have a singular display of a covenant of that religion similar to a burka, or perhaps a bindi (hindu red dot).

Let's just try and see if JoCo would prevent a person from wearing a bindi.

17. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

This a really slippery slope. Let's say CHS relents and allows the nose stud. What next, the giant hoops in the lobes? Eyebrow studs, lip studs, horns under the skin? All of it can then be said to be "religious" expression. If they hold firm, then this goes national news, the ACLU drags them to court, the taxpayers foot the bill. The big question is: "What is the definition of a religion"?

18. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Questions to myself..

How long has this girl had the nosestud? If she has had if for awhile, why now the uproar?
    How long has she been going to a Johnston Co. school? same as above, if she has been going there for a while now, why the uproar? did she just get it?

My kid just started K this year, I got the student handbook, read it and signed it, it explicablly said no body piercings, colored hair etc... didn't they get it and mom have to sign it? Why this mess now?

Kind of leaning toward the attention whore thoughts...

19. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

but but but it makes her feeeel better!

20. momof2girls

momof2girls Guest

Just wondering if they allow her to wear this nosestud, now that everyone knows that it is her religious belief, could my daughter take her bible to school and read it during class, lunch, recess, ect. Is this not the same thing?